Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

70's SSB Gretsch 4165 - Sounds Like It Has Metal Drum Heads

I've never had or heard a Gretsch 4165, until last week. Wow! Is it supposed to sound so "metallic"? I mean it sounds like the heads are made of steel. The drum is apart for cleaning right now, but I had a new coated Ambassador on the batter, used Weather King on the snare side and some 20 strand (give a few, take a few) wires. I tried different tunings for both heads and the sound was like hitting a piece of sheet metal. To the point where the metallic sound over powers the true sounds of the heads and snare, if that makes sense.

I've been reading former threads about using felt inside the lugs to remove spring vibrations. I noticed when tapping a removed and fully assembled lug with a screwdriver, it rings like crazy.

Has anyone wrapped lugs with felt on a 4160/4165 to get a less metallic sound or is this how they are supposed to sound?

Thanks,

Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

I'd try a different style head and get a new reso first. I have a brass Leedy that I couldn't get to sound right with the typical Remo coated Ambassador/hazy reso combo.

1 attachments
Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 12 years ago

Sounds to me like the snare side head has gone flat.I've had crappy snare heads ruin the sound of a good drum.Maybe an Evans hazy?

Posted on 12 years ago

It probably is the resonant head. It was definitely old. I'm also wrapping the lugs with felt. I have a new Hazy 300 for the snare side and I'm probably going to get an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot for the batter side. I put this combination on a 60's Gretsch RB wooden 8 lug snare with the Wide 42 wires and it sounded really good.

-Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

I got the drum cleaned and back together. I re-installed the Ambassador, used the new Hazy 300 and some Puresound 24's. It's still pretty "tingy". I adjusted the Tone Control up a bit and it really calmed down. I then backed off the Tone Control and tried an Evans e-ring and I got the same results. I'm pretty confident I'll be changing the Ambassador head to something else. It's just not the sound I'm looking for.

Other than getting the right heads installed, this drum is really cool and I'm glad I purchased it.

Thanks,

Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

Here are some pics after cleaning.

The drum is in pretty good condition, but the camera makes it look really sharp. It has the typical small scratches and very very small spots on the shell. It will be an awesome player's drum and really compliment the Blue Glass Glitter kit it was purchased for.

- Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

hi, i have a 4165 i'm trying to work on but there seems to be a prob.

i was trying to remove the strainer tension-adjuster (is there a better term for that?) - butt side - by unscrewing the tensioner all the way but it stops unscrewing (at the end?) and i can't remove the outer part. i haven't worked on it for a long time but i don't remember it not coming off. does yours stop or come off?

it's also very hard to tighten/loosen. something might be bent inside. any suggestions before i remove it from the drum to look at it?

tnx

Posted on 12 years ago

It's also know as the "fishtail". I think I remember mine coming apart and it was also difficult to turn the further I unscrewed the adjustment/top piece. Probably from the years of dirt and grime that built up. After I cleaned it up, I used some white lithium grease on the threads. It moves a lot easier now.

Update on changing the batter head. I installed an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot and now it sounds awesome. I also installed some Puresound Super 30's. Depending on the location of stick strike, it can have a nice pronounced, but low resonant pop or that "cuts through anything" metallic crack.

One thing's for sure, it's one really loud snare. :eek:

Good luck on your resto.

- Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

thanks for the reply. yup, i took it off and cleaned it. almost as soon as i applied some lug lube all was well. :o:rolleyes: after a few more dabs and a few spins the screw came out. doesn't look like anything's bent and now it's like new. really wasn't expecting such a simple recovery. tnx again.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here