Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

70's Slingerland COB snare

Hello All, I was wondering if I could get some help/advise on this snare I just bought. Is this a Krupa Sound King? Is the zoomatic the proper strainer? Is the muffler knob original? It looks like this drum needs some work but for $22 I couldn't pass it up. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on 16 years ago

Sure looks like my Sound King... crimped beds, with three lines around the middle. Yep then the Zoomatic would be the right strainer.

There is a really good article on this site under the "Restoration and Help" tab called how to fix a Zoomatic it details how to fix a Zoomatic that the tensioner has come loose on.. find that article then buy a busted Zoomatic and loose knob for cheap on ebay and stick it on there.

I used piece of 1" poplar dowel cut to the length of the inside of the shell to tap mine out of dents.. I am not a smithy.. I have no idea if that is even close the correct way to do that kind of work... but it got the job done for me. I just put the shell on edge and rolled the dowel along as I turned the shell lightly tapping the dowel with a small ball and peen hammer.

You'll have a great player!! Go get some little sticky rubber hands to use as dampeners on that ol'tin soldier and it will sound awesome!!

:2Cents:

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the help Jim. I am new to the vintage drum thing but man am i hooked. I spend way too much time on this site. I have seen the article you mentioned about the zoomatic and I hope it will be a useful tool in the future. So you just cut a 1" dowel to fit the inside of the drum and tapped out the dents? Pretty clever. I have not received the drum yet so I am not sure if there are any dents. But if there are I will try out that technique. Thanks again.

Posted on 16 years ago

Also, anyone have any tricks to get that badge straight and tight up against the shell???

Posted on 16 years ago

There is a guy that sells a grommet tool on ebay.. it's like $30 bucks but I understand it works very very well.

I made one by taking two small hard plastic balls from a cheap sink drain repair kit, drilling 1/4 holes through both of them, inserting a 1/4 20 carriage bolt through one and melting the bolt head into the plastic ball... then I put the bolt through the grommet hole and slid the other plastic ball onto the other side.. put on a nut and washer and tightened her down till the grommet firmed up.

If you can just firm up the existing grommet as opposed to removing and re-grommeting my limited experience would be DO NOT remove the grommet.

I had about six bucks in the homemade tool.... if you are going to do more than one badge.. just buy the good tool on ebay.Yes Sir

My SK needed a little "rounding" under the lugs, the strainer and the butt plate. It was a real fun and satisfying project to complete and play.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here