Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

70's Slingerland Chrome Over Wood Snare

I was considering purchasing a 1970's Slingerland 5 x 14 chrome over wood snare but was first interested in getting some feedback about the quality from someone who has played one before.

What's the story with a chrome over wood snare?

What do they sound like?

Are these rare / hard to find?

About what are they worth? It has 10 lugs, a Zoomatic strainer and is in very good condition.

Thanks.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi Raymo, I own a mid 70's Slingerland Chrome over Wood snare drum. The one I own is a 5.5x14 3-Ply Mahogany/Poplar/Maple Shell with Maple Reinforcing Rings, 8 Sound King Lugs, Zoomatic Strainer and Tone control. It is a 3-Ply Artist model in the Chrome Metal over Wood finish. The Mahogany ply is underneath the Chrome Metal Wrap, the Poplar ply, then Maple for the inner ply. I bought mine on E-Bay two and half years ago from a guy that ran a recording studio in New York city. I got lucky on the price that I paid for it! I don't think this guy knew what he was selling. Slingerland Chrome over Wood snares are very rare-especially the Copper over Wood snare. It is basically the Chrome Metal Wrap that is Copper plated-this finish was only around from 1973-1976ish. Slingerland discountinued this finish because it did not hold up very well, plating wise etc...Another finish was Blackrome, which is Chrome Metal that is Black Nickle plated I believe. This is another rare finish as well. The most common finish I think is the Chrome Metal over Wood, it appears more frequently than the others and is most common on Slingerland Marching Snare drums for Marching Bands, although some have a Chrome Metal Plastic mirror board type finish that is not an actual Metal Wrap. My COW Snare sounds very strong sounding and projects very well. It also very sensitive as well, depending on the tuning range and snare tension as well. The Metal Wrap over the Wood Shell has a very dense-thick range in my opinion. If you found this Snare in a music store I would try it out first to see if you like it. If not try to find out what condition it is in, and if you want to take a chance and you have the $$ I say go for it! Good luck to you and I hope you post a picture of it when and if you buy it! Take care. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here