Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

'70s Pearl Wood-Fiberglass kit

So I decided to finally tackle this monster now that I'm 100% It's Pearl. The green on the inside is guess what - paint.... So I may just do a coat of white over them, not sure if paint remover would mess with fiberglass. Son't want to find out the hard way. But I'm open to suggestions. Probably going to clean and polish the wood finish they have, it does look really nice. It's in overall good shape, couple blemishes. But nothing outside the norm. The 20" bass drum however..Not only was it unwrapped BUT someone took it's virginity and made a hole for a Tama tom mount, poorly at that. So I think I'm going to plug that as well as the holes for the spurs and lugs for one side, get the actual Tama gong bass drum lugs and make it a stained black 20" gong drum. With the 13",14",16",18", toms that'll be a good fit.

4 attachments
93.9 kB
86.3 kB
103 kB
81.3 kB
18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Cool drums Jay. Will make a nice project. I think just re painting the interiors would be the easy way to go. Have fun! Bet these will sound really nice too.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 8 years ago

So upon really close inspection I don't think this outer wood finish is factory. Not only was I unable to find the color listed, but it struck me odd that one a couple drums the holes for the internal tone controls were covered over on the outside, but were present on the interior. My guess is someone wrapped these drums with a veneer, but at least did it properly. Gave them a quick hand sanding with 220 grit and then applied two coats of Minwax black stain mixed with the polyurethane. Needs a couple clear coats, but looks great so far. Also got the hole on the 20" plugged. I evened out the hole and cut a piece of wood to fit. Then with wood glue and saw dust I got it in place tight. Once the drum is fully stained you'll never notice the hole was there.

2 attachments
95.6 kB
69.5 kB
18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

So you think they were all fiberglass shells from Pearl? What does the exterior of the bare fiberglass look like? Smooth, color? These are getting interesting!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 8 years ago

I don't think they were all fiber-glass but rather wood fiber-glass. But it looked as though the wrap was removed, and then a veneer was applied. It was done very well, only reason I even noticed is the corner of one popped up so before I glued it back down I took a peak underneath. But on the whole you can't even notice where it begins or ends. As to when this was done is unknown, but at least it was properly done.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Got the interiors of the 13" & 14" all set. Thin coat of white paint does wonders.

1 attachments
64.8 kB
18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

So here are the holes on the 13" for the internal tone control. You'll notice the interior has them, yet the exterior just has the top. I also noticed on the 13" that the holes for the lugs on the outside were also smaller than on the inside. But that wasn't the case on the rest. I also apologize for the hardware. I just did a quick assembly to hear what they sound like. Next it's time for the hardware polish!

2 attachments
94.9 kB
105.3 kB
18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

So here is a bit of confusion. When you look inside the 13",18",20",22" drums they are all seamless. Top to bottom fiberglass. The 14" however is a different story. Notice the seam where the fiberglass over laps. Also it doesn't go top to bottom. Interesting....

2 attachments
109.1 kB
18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

So I got myself some paint stripper and went ahead using it on the bass drum to remove the nasty adhesive that was left behind. Now the previous stripper I used worked like magic. Within seconds the glue would come off. This new stuff you need to let sit, so I follow the instructions and keep and eye as time passes. Low and behold what I thought was a wood finish...paint. Underneath is white, and it's not a thick layer. So I've decided that I'll get the adhesive off, and whatever paint comes off comes off. I'm going to re-wrap the kit in this black gold sparkle. I think it's going to look amazing. Also heavily contemplating using rim mounts for the 16" * 18" drums as opposed to legs. Either the Pearl I.S.S or Opti-Mounts.

1 attachments
18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

After further thought I decided not to go with a wrap and instead went with a baby blue lacquer. I think it came out looking great. I saw an ad with a Yamaha kit with this color ( or close to ) and since I don't have a blue kit in my collection, I decided it was time. Plugged the mounts,floor tom brackets,bottom lugs on the 20". All the drums have rim mounts and I made a rack stand for the 20" - which sounds like thunder by the way. The 14" isn't pictured.

5 attachments
135.8 kB
135.9 kB
70.8 kB
72.9 kB
120.8 kB
18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here