Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

70's Ludwig project.

Thank you Manny for selling me these drums for a very good price.

I am about to do another project. Well actually, I have started on them. These are blue and olive badge Ludwigs, 12,13,16,22. They were re done twice, by two different amateurs. First upgrade, someone removed original wrap then painted them black. Second guy glued some almond color plastic crap over the black paint and did a horrible job. The drums look to be maple inside, but the previous owner thought a horrible white paint job would be an improvement. The outer ply is mahogany, too bad it was damaged very bad during the wrap removal process because that would be nice to just re-finish the shells. But instead the only way to make these look good is to wrap with new wrap or apply veneer. Veneer is my choice and for today and it is maple with a themogloss type of finish, but that decision could change very easily.

I dont want to bore everyone with a long drawn out thread, so I will post some pics when its done.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

Well Jeff I've always liked watching the progress of these projects. So I don't mind the step by step. And with a possible maple veneer and thermogloss finish I'd be interested to see the entire process. Very helpful. Anyhoooo sounds like a real cool project! A Ringo kit maybe? Hmmmmm. :D

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

I'd love to see it, too. There's always so much to learn, seeing how others do things. Not that I want you to leak any proprietary secrets or anything! :D

Posted on 10 years ago

From Digmon

I'd love to see it, too. There's always so much to learn, seeing how others do things. Not that I want you to leak any proprietary secrets or anything! :D

I have no secrets, just no time. But I get some before pics so you know what I'm talking about.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 10 years ago

You know Jeff, there's nothing I enjoy more that reading your boring posts about restorations. :-)

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 10 years ago

The wrap job was horrible! It will take a lot of work but I want to remove all of the white paint off the interiors and restore them to natural maple.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 10 years ago

That drum set is in the best hands possible. It won't be long and it'll be looking like a brand new set! Looking forward to seeing the process.

Posted on 10 years ago

Removing wrap from the 16, found this wonderful Ludwig decal that must have looked stunning at one time, NOT!

Pic # 2, close up of the high quality white paint job on the interior.

Pic # 3, showing the white filler that was used to repair the gouges that were left after removing the original wrap.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 10 years ago

Jeff.. Shot 3 is a little out of focus... We can only see the drum...

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 10 years ago

From longjohn

Jeff.. Shot 3 is a little out of focus... We can only see the drum...CheersJohn

Wait, I see something in the background...It looks like.............the beer fridge...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here