Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

70's Ludwig kit restoration ideas needed

Here are a few pics of a Ludwig kit I just received. I bought these drums to restore and keep, so they aren’t going anywhere. There is significant damage to the bass drum (two holes) and the wrap is pretty much being held on the 3 Champagne drums by the lugs (completely loose). The drums are all in-round and the edges look good. One of the bass drum hoops has a flat spot (out of round), but the inlays are perfect. The WMP FT is about as good as it gets for a played drum (easy 9.5). Serial #’s are 94xxxx to 13xxxxx (76 to 78?)

I am thinking out loud here… Due to the extra holes in the bass drum, maybe try to match the WMP FT? Can it be done? I have no experience with WMP and it’s hard to tell if anything out there will be the right match. It looks very brite and very white – I don’t see any fading or yellowing at all.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Like I said, I am keeping these and they will be gigged, hard.

1976 Ludwig SBP Big Beats
1979/83 Tama Superstar Frankenkit
Modern Ludwig Black Beauty
1950's WFL 8X15 Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

If the wrap on the PCS is not glued down you could take thee 3 drums and remove the wrap and save it incase you ever wanted to restore them plug the 2 bass drum holes and rewrap without glue the other 3 drums in WMP from presicion they have a good match wrap.... or you can buy a PCS floor tom and sell the wmp FT.... lots of choices....

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

The Champagne wrap is actually in decent condition, except for the two holes (obviously).

1950's WFL 8X15 Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey scotty - You do have some choice here. I know that it will be hard, but don't do anything before you get some wrap samples (get a few different WMP's and the champagne as well, just to see for yourself how different it is). After that, you can make a more informed decision.

Now, if it were my kit, I'd adhere the champagne wrap back onto the drums, find a matching floor tom and sell the WMP floor tom when the time is right. The other thing I'd do is fill the holes in the bass drum (leave room for wrap) and find someone who might have a piece of champagne wrap that was removed from a junked drum and get a small swatch to patch up the holes on the bass drum. Just a little hint - the wrap sample you get from the wrap guys will do in the meantime until you find the peroid correct one that matches really well. Champagne sparkle is the bomb!

At the end of the day, they're your drums and the decision is yours. I think from a cost perspective, you'll be way further ahead and have a much rarer kit with original wraps if you stick with the champagne option - plus you'll still have a great original orphan floor tom to sell to offset costs. If you rewrap, you'll have a rewrapped player's kit and you'll be out way more cash. Sorry to rample on, just my $0.02.

Posted on 12 years ago

I wish I would have taken pics when I last fixed bad seams like you have. Next time I will... anyway, here's what I did with some toms that were 1972 Ludwigs (3-ply w/rings, clear interiors):

1) Of course removed heads & rims, then the lugs on the seem.

2) With a common untility knife and putty knife, carefully seperated and lifted the enitre top part of the seam back from the seam about an inch and a half. BE CAREFUL AND GO SLOW as if the wrap may be brittle in places.

3) With the utility knife, clean away as much of the glue residue as possible, back about an inch from the seam (where it's not going to show).

4) Use the double-faced tape (available from Drummaker.com) all along the seam pressed on to the drum (the tape is about an inch wide). You'll need help keeping the wrap that you've peeled back held up out of the way.

5) Carefully place the peeled back wrap back down over the tape. Smooth down (starting in the middle & working out), then clamp down tight. I used a piece of 1x2 with 2 common c-clamps, covering the entire seam. I let it alone, clamped, for 24 hours (I don't really know how long it needs).

No glue residue using the tape. Hope that all made sense!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Many thanks for the replies/ideas everyone. I think I'm going to put these away, send for some wrap samples and just think on it for awhile.

1950's WFL 8X15 Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

The WMP FT has been posted in the Trade section.

1950's WFL 8X15 Snare
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here