Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

70's Ludwig Floor Tom Muffler Removal

I have to remove the tone control device so it stops rattling inside the floor tom. I unscrewed it, but the muffler still will not come off. What am I not doing?

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Well there is the small bolt holding the muffler, then that barrel nut need to come off the end of the adjustment rod, thats it. If you remove both of those and it still intact then tap it with your screw driver, it might be stuck to the finish.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 7 years ago

The barrel nut just will not budge.

Posted on 7 years ago

What looks like someone might have painted it back at some point in the paint is keeping the barrel nut from coming off. You might have to get a little bit of lacquer thinner or paint stripper or something to clean the threads of the bolt off

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 7 years ago

Nail polish remover should work too if you have some sitting around.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

Did it unscrew all the way to the end, and then refuse to come off? I got 3 orphan toms from 3 different places, '67-'71and all 3 were a bear to get off the last 1/4" or so. I was thinking Ludwig deliberately messed the threads up so it wouldn't vibrate off or something, but all 3 were that way. Really bizarre coincidence?

65-73 Ludwig orphans 22/16/15/13/12 (silver sparkle rewrap)
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 5 x 14
1976 Ludwig Acrolite 5 x 14
1966 Ludwig Pioneer 5 x 14
66-'67-ish Slingerland orphan project 20/13 (original champagne sparkling pearl)
Mid-60's Slingerland Gene Krupa COB Sound King 5 x 14
Mid-50's Slingerland tenor-to-floor tom resto/conversion project
Early 50's Slingerland Marcher resto project
Pork Pie 6.5 x 14 Big Black
Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

I recall having the same issue, there was a flat spot in the threads or something. I put a soft cloth in vice grips or pliers to hold the tone control knob and twisted off the nut with another set of pliers. It did come off & go back on ok

Posted on 7 years ago

I recall having the same issue, there was a flat spot in the threads or something. I put a soft cloth in vice grips or pliers to hold the tone control knob and twisted off the nut with another set of pliers. It did come off & go back on ok

That's the way that I have done it as well. Some of them can be quite a chore.

Posted on 7 years ago

Yes, very stubborn, go ahead and "reef" it '67, ha. Looks like a nice floor tom/kit you've got there. Welcome to the VDF

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here