Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

70's Ludwig Black Beauty - bronze?

Hi all,

I have a 70's (I suspect late 70's - it has a pointed B/O badge, serial number 1899874) Black Beauty out on 'road test' at the moment. Taking off the top head to change it I noticed the inner rim of the bottom flange has a look more like copper or bronze more than brass - does anyone know if Ludwig made the Black Beauty as a bronze shell? I've heard rumour that a very small percentage in the late 70's were made from bronze but haven't found anything to back it up. There is no small B or BZ stamp anywhere on the drum, not that I can see anyway. Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Pat.

www.patgarvey.net
Posted on 15 years ago

I originally had three posts here, but deleted them and the images. I get a lot of questions about Black Beauty snare drums so I decided to make a special page with a Black Beauty timeline from the printed material.

Basically in 1977 the drums were introduced with brass shells. When Ludwig was sold to Selmer in 1981 the drums were switched to bronze as pictured in the 1981 Set-Up Flyer.

I talked with BIII about this last week (July 24, 2009) and he confirmed that Selmer made the change based on cost.

David

Ludwig Black Beauty Catalog Timeline

(Is there a chance that Ludwig made a strange Black Beauty or Ludwig had already tested the shells in bronze prior to the sale to Selmer? I have to say anything is possible. So if you have a strange Black Beauty send me a photo.)

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks David that's pretty much nailed it. Great stuff.

Have a good day,

Pat.

www.patgarvey.net
Posted on 15 years ago

This enquiry would certainly be assisted by pics. The later bronze Supra series is a well known beast and well worthy of collection i.e. #550/2/4/6

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for all your help with this guys. I'm doing some filming with the BB in question next week so when its done I'll wack a link up so you can all see & hear it for yourselves.

Pat.

www.patgarvey.net
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here