Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

70's Copper Plated Wrap

Hey guys and gals, this is a very strange question and I hope you guys can help me out. I have acquired a post 1972 Slingerland kit with the copper plated steel wrap. Unfortunately, the kit was left in a garage for years resulting in some serious oxidization. Since I need an outdoor kit, I have come to the decision to forget about restoring the wrap since it is so far gone to putting a pleasant stain on the shells.

Now, enough of the background, here is the true question: since the wraps are trash, I figured I would get some scrap money since there is a little copper. Do you guys have any idea on how much copper is on the wrap? Would it be worth scrapping or hanging on to if I find a buyer?

Posted on 10 years ago

There's probably enough copper to make two pennies... that Slingerland wrap was known to be a thin plating, which is why it deteriorates and gets damaged so easily

Posted on 10 years ago

Have you considered new copper roof flashing? The widest I've

seen it is in 24" widths. You'll probably have to buy it in a 50'

long roll to get this width. If you know any professional roofers,

they might have some in their inventory at a cheeper cost.

Posted on 10 years ago

I have one sheet of that wrap I took off a 18x18" floor tom, it is a total bugger to remove the glue slingerland used for the metal wraps is tough as nails. the wrap is not thin. the reason it tarnishes like it does is due to the protective coating used on the wrap once it gets nicked etc, the wrap copper oxidezies as it is suppose to do since the bare metal is now exposed to oxygen.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 10 years ago

Sand it down to bare steel and paint it. Trust me, the results of trying to remove that covering, unless you spend many hours 1 inch at a time, are disappointing. I have experience...

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here