Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

70s BDP kit

I recently put a post on the vintage drums forum titled slingerland 1970s black diamond pearl kit. any how the kit was put together by the previous owner and it consists of a 13x9 tom 16x16 floor tom, 14x5 snare and a 14x24 bass. the toms and snare are 5 ply with serial numbers in the 450,000's the bass drum is a 3-ply, which the owner added to match that has a badge with a 100,000s serial number. Most of the 5-ply slingerland drums I see on e-bay and elsewhere have a chrome wrap or black wrap--is the black diamond pearl wrap hard to find on the five ply drums? Im interested in completing the kit with a five ply bass drum in BDP wrap--any idea how easy it might be to find one? The five ply shells are really solid but the bearing edges are uneven. Does that mean that the shells are not really that valuable (i.e. are they considered to be quality vintage drums?).

Posted on 18 years ago

Those 5-ply shells unfortunately don't have much pull with collectors, but don't let that dissuade you.

They sound... well, heavy - and loud(!), especially in standard sizes - and actually are very well built - probably the highest quality drums that came out of Niles for fit and finish.

I'd hazard to say that 5-plys in BDP were reasonably common.

They may have their day in the 'collectors sun' down the road - or not.

I'm certainly not banking on it! They are great value for the money right now though.

Shine'em up and hit'em.

cheers

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here