Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

'69 pearl chrome on steel snare refinishing Help!

I recently bought the snare in the title. It has a bit of beginning rust spots. I'm kinda torn between refurbishing the drum or customizing it. I don't know if repainting it will drop the reselling value. I am new to drums but have knowledge in corrosion removal, and painting. What should I do? And tips?

Posted on 11 years ago

Considering you'd have to clean it before you paint it anyway, give it a wash and the best polishing you can and see how it looks. If it still looks lousy go ahead and paint it. I personally would not paint it but that's me. I've made some very dirty drums clean up beyond my expectations. If rust is just starting to appear you may be able to head it off at the pass. Just stay away from using steel wool or it will look horrible when you're done. A non-abrasive metal polish and rags from an old t-shirt should be all you need.

1981 Slingerland Magnum 8pc Pewter Silk
1971 Slingerland Avante 60N Lavender Satin Flame
1976/7 Ludwig Vistalite 5pc Yellow
1980's Ludwig Rocker 5pc Black
2004 Gretsch Catalina Birch Caribbean Blue
1998 Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic 14X4.75
1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 11 years ago

1. A nice 10 min soak in Dawn dish soap and water, scrub gently with a non abrasive scouring pad(the blue one, NOT the green one).

Dry well with soft cloth.

2. If rust spots are still there, scrub spots again with non abrasive pad and CLR(this stuff removes rust/lime as good as anything I've seen)

Rinse well and dry with soft cloth.

If rust spots are still there repeat #2

Finally polish with Novus(I've never tried this stuff but everyone here swears by it) or PEEK(this is the stuff I use. comes in mousse or paste. Also works fantastic) and a soft cloth

Your shell should now be beautiful.

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks guys. I soaked the shell and rims in dawn today. And will follow your advice for the rest of it. Once finished ill post a pic

Posted on 11 years ago

As for painting it.

I wouldn't. Paint doesn't adhere to chrome very well. You will most likely end up with an even worse looking drum when the paint starts to chip off.

Consider having it powder coated or using one of the self adhesive "drum skins" type products.

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here