Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.86639%

'68 Ludwig Supraphonic head/snare wire opinions

I rediscovered my first snare drum in my old trap case, 1968 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14 (haven't tested if it's COB yet). It is in great shape, but I am looking for some advice regarding re-heading it and replacing the snare wires.

I used this drum extensively touring back in the mid-70's but the cables holding the wires kept breaking, so I went to a Tama Imperial Star 6.5 " chrome.

I would like your opinion on which heads you would suggest and I also need to replace the snare wires.

Do I go Remo Ambassador top/bottom for the classic - that's the way it should be sound?

Or Evans G1 / G2 with Hazy 200-300...

Replacement Snare wires opinions: Puresound Customs, Vintage... 20 strand, 14?

Haven't replaced snare wires before but I expect many of you have, looking for your input and guidance on head/wire sound combos.

What cable would you suggest I use to secure the snare wires?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

BDrums

BDrums
Gretsch Guy
Posted on 15 years ago

I use a Remo CS coated Batter on top and Ambassador reso underneath. Cheap Snappy snares - 14 strand I think. It's impossible to make that drum sound bad.

Posted on 15 years ago

From BDrums

I rediscovered my first snare drum in my old trap case, 1968 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14 (haven't tested if it's COB yet).

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I first off would like to personally congratulate you on having put t away and NOT sold it when it went out of style or didn't serve your needs.

That was either... prescient...or just great luckflower

I think you nix the G1/2 and go with some sorta Remo or Aquarian coated batter. The thicker, the dryer the sound.

Bouncy sound: Ambassador or Fiberskyn

Drier sound: Emperor, Powerstroke coated, Aq. Focus X coated, Aq. Modern Vintage coated.

hazy or Ambassador reso on bottom is fine. I would say a medium sorta snare reso, not a lightweight.

Duplex chrome snappies.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

From BDrums

I rediscovered my first snare drum in my old trap case, 1968 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14 (haven't tested if it's COB yet). It is in great shape, but I am looking for some advice regarding re-heading it and replacing the snare wires.I used this drum extensively touring back in the mid-70's but the cables holding the wires kept breaking, so I went to a Tama Imperial Star 6.5 " chrome.I would like your opinion on which heads you would suggest and I also need to replace the snare wires.Do I go Remo Ambassador top/bottom for the classic - that's the way it should be sound? Or Evans G1 / G2 with Hazy 200-300...Replacement Snare wires opinions: Puresound Customs, Vintage... 20 strand, 14?Haven't replaced snare wires before but I expect many of you have, looking for your input and guidance on head/wire sound combos.What cable would you suggest I use to secure the snare wires?Thanks in advance for your insight.BDrums

Evans G-1 ain't a bad Batter Head, but I tend to like the sound-tone of the Remo Ambassador coated a bit better.

Hazy 200 snare side is as thin as Saran Wrapm (2mil), I've tried them, and they seem to stretch, and stretch. the Hazy 300 would be a better choice if you go Evans, otherwise the Ambassador Snare Side is fine.

If you're a Jazzer, and/or don't clobber your drums to living death, then I'd say Remo Diplomat Batter, or even Dimplomat M5 Batter (5mil), and a Diplomat Snare Side, if you wish to get the highest sensitivity.

Aquarians are beautifully made heads, make Remo, and Evans look like junk as for build quality, but to me, they always sounded like wet cardboard, and I've essentially tried them all. Again, just my opinion here.

As far as Snare Wires, I tried Puresound Vintage Ludwig replacements, and on a 1960 COB Supra they sounded a little dull-dark in comparison to the stock Luddy Wires, but on a 70's Luddy B/O Badge LM-402 Supra they sound like heaven, so go figure? YMMV? If your snares are shot, the Snappy Snares might work perfectly fine?

As for Cables-Cords for you Snare Wires, I never had a cable-cord break in my life, but of course, I don't tighten Snares to the point where they strangle the sound of the drum, and then possibly place the life of the cords in jepardy. I believe somebody like Gibratar used to make a coated Steel Cable? Or maybe it was Puresound? lol

Hope this helps, Mark

Posted on 15 years ago

Just as a caution, I've read that those coated steel cords may do some damage. An example would be the blue ones that Puresound supplies with their wires. Especially if you like the wires tight. They may dig into the beds.

Always been happy with Ludwigs' orange cords.

Try the Remo coated ambassador and their hazy.

Ludwigs' old amber ended wires are great, cheap Snappy wires and Puresounds are good too.

Posted on 15 years ago

I just replaced the heads and snares on a Supra I bought off Craig's List last week. I put a Remo coated Ambassador on the batter, a hazy Remo Emperor on the snare side, and a 20 strand Cannon Percussion set of wires.

I used the cord that came with the Cannon snares.

I usually don't use a snare head as thick as the Emperor, but on this drum it works great. I love the sound.

I have used nothing but Slingerland and Gretsch snares over the years (40), but I really like this Supra. I bought it with the intent to sell it ASAP, but that may be harder to do than I thought. I really like this drum.

Posted on 15 years ago

I don't think there are "proper" heads for any particular model of drum. It depends on what you want to hear.

Some have suggested lightweight batter heads, which is fine on a metal snare but keep in mind that that is going to result in a "wetter" sound, regardless of how tight up you tune the head. Diplomats, G1's, J1's and the like will do this.

Ambassadors and G2's and that sort will be middle-road...a fair amount of rng in the sound but not as wet as the one-plies.

Then Emperors, PS 3 Coateds, Aquarian coateds, Aquarian Focus X's, Evans EC2's or MX Frosteds, and the like will result in the dryest sounding snare drum; they will cut back on the ring and resonance a bit, and boost the attack a bit. BUT they will also lose just a bit of the high end of the sound spectrum.

Then Fiberskins fall somewhere between the Ambassadors and the Emperors/PS3's.

I agree that a thin reso is not the greatest choice for this particular sort of snare.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here