Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

'68 Ludwig Super Classic Blue Oyster

[Attachment: 120351]I ordered these the second week of July 1968 from The Drum Shop, Wilmington, DE. Picked them up first week of August 1968 and have never wanted anything else. My A. Zildjians are from the 60s w/ factory matched hats. I bought a '68 Hollywood kit in matching blue oyster pearl back in 1973 from Mars Music, Elton, MD. I combined kits for the double base. That Hollywood kit and the original flat base stands are now played by my step son. I have taken up drumming again in my retirement and feel like a very slow 15 year old again.

1 attachments
1968 Ludwig Super Classic kit Blue Oyster Pearl
22, 13, 16, 14x5
1968 Ludwig Hollywood kit Blue Oyster Pearl
22, 12, 13, 16
A Zildjian cymbals (50's-70's)
Posted on 6 years ago

That is quite a kit. Not too, too many guys can say they still have a kit they ordered or even bought back then. I sure don't.

Posted on 6 years ago

I am lucky in that I ordered my "dream kit". I had fingered the Ludwig catalogs till the words were so smudged trying to decide what to buy. I have loved their sound from day one. There were times I considered rewrapping them but always stood back and said "Nope, they are gorgeous".

Now I get to show my children & grandchildren the sales receipts and cancelled check and tell them about all the garage bands and gigs when they were played.

22, 13, 16, 14x5
22, 12, 13, 16
Posted on 6 years ago

Hi woody1953...and Welcome to the forum! What a great story! Really sounds like what many of us went through. However, you still have your first kit! Really brings a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

First week of August 1968? So those drums are in their 50 anniversary with you. Congrats and welcome.

Posted on 6 years ago

Yessir, 50th anniversary. A never ending love affair.

22, 13, 16, 14x5
22, 12, 13, 16
Posted on 6 years ago

Beautiful drums and a great story as well. So nice to see stuff like this!

Mike

Posted on 6 years ago

wow lovely piece

Posted on 6 years ago

I kit after my own heart I did same thingvback then

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 6 years ago

They look immaculate. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here