Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

68’ Ludwig Hollywood’s?

I’m a new member and could use some help with a kit I recently purchased. It’s a set of Ludwig’s that came with a 3 ply 22”, 12”, 13” and 18” floor tom with a b/o badge that I believe dates to mid 70’s...and layers of spay paint with painted interiors. I believe it’s a Hollywood kit that has the original wrap under the paint being that each drum has very small areas of wrap exposed near the bearing and they all match...looks like gold pearl. All shells have keystone badges that from what I’ve researched date to 68’ except the 18” floor tom. What is stumping me is the 18”. Maybe the keystone badge has been replaced with a olive badge as it is lose and the grommet looks poorly pressed? I cant find a example of a Hollywood that comes with a 18”. Orphan drum? Might this 18” came from a Blue Note or maybe I’m not identifying the kit correctly at all. Any input would be appreciated.

Posted on 6 years ago

The blue-olive badge appears to be unmolested to me and looks original. It looks like a late 60s to early 70s serial if the numbers are 698xxx. Hard to read though. Perhaps the 18 was an add-on after the initial purchase of the kick and rack.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thank you for the reply Mo Tonkie and I really appreciate your insight. The serial number on the 18” is 898052. The badge looks pretty rough though...and the grommet doesn’t seem right. I would agree that it’d have to be a additional drum someone introduced. Wish it had come with the 16” keystone. Any recommendations on paint removers for older shells? Serial numbers on the keystones all mate starting with 598xxx. All of the shells are coated with a combination of spray paint and latex. I read other members have used citristrip with mixed results and liftoff #4 for heavier jobs. I’m really trying to retain the original wrap.

Posted on 6 years ago

I can only see the front of the grommet and it looks normal on my screen. Others may disagree. If the back of the grommet is chewed-up or crimped it's possible that it was removed. The badge kinda looks like it's been taped-off and not removed for painting purposes.

The drum is likely from the early 70s. Here's a compilation study on dating Ludwig drums, written by a member on this forum. If you're getting into Ludwigs it's a must-have book in my opinion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Drums-Serial-Number-Dating-Guide/311719336393?hash=item4893eb99c9:g:UuUAAOxyUrZSudxq

I have no idea on the best product to remove paint while not hurting the wrap. No idea if solvents would harm the wrap.

I just googled 'organic paint stripper' and there appears to be several such products and even youtube videos on removing paint organically. Coconut oil seems to be effective. I'd tape-off the badge with painters tape before applying any chemical.

Posted on 6 years ago

According to the Rick Gier book no ® on the blue olive badge puts is as Sep 1969 to around 1972. The serial number range is 749200 to 945000 for that version of the badge. So yes the 18" is a few years later (early 70s) then the other shells which are more 1968(ish) based on the 598xxx serial numbers. Unless you have date stamps it isn't really possible to assign exact years given the documented pattern of variation in serial numbers. Alas the online guides missed out that minor detail and lack all the rich data which Rick has collected and analyzed. Rick has recently been been using his extensive data collection to look at how similar serial numbers are on sets which were "born together in the factory". Hopefully he will see this and chime in.

Good luck with your restoration project.

Posted on 6 years ago

After reading Zenstat's reply I figured I'd add the serial numbers of my 1965 Hollywood set (I'm the original owner and the drums all came together a few weeks or so after I ordered them). This should help Rick if he's interested. If the color is needed, all drums are pink champagne except the snare.

Bass 22" 479175

supra snare 14" 360466

tom 12" 500972

tom 13" 500999

floor 16" 500857

As I suspected my toms are all very close while my bass is a bit further off. The snare, because I wanted a chrome finish rather than a matching champagne, is way off from the rest...probably made considerably earlier than the other drums in the set. If I recall correctly the set was suppose to have a smaller bass (I think a 20") but I ordered a 22 inch which would explain why it's serial number is further off than the other toms.

From the serial numbers on my set I'd say Ludwig did a good job of keeping drums that were produced together grouped in sets. Hope this helps out with any documentation anyone is doing.

landofahhs (Paul)
Posted on 6 years ago

Gentlemen, thank you all very much for the replies! Mo Tonkie..thank you sending the link for Rick’s book which I will definitely order. I purchased some Motsenbocker #4 and was able remove a larger section of the miserable paint someone decided to apply. It’s a lot of work so I’m looking into some 3M products which can sit and won’t burn the wrap. zenstat..thank you for your input on the serial number of the 18”. There’s a beautiful drum under that damn paint. What has me intrigued is the thought and effort behind someone matching the wrap on 18” against the 68’s. Or, could be a re-wrap. landofahhs..being a original owner of a set of Hollywood’s, do you recall Ludwig every offering an 18” optional or special order allowed from Blue Note kit?

Posted on 6 years ago

From landofahhs

After reading Zenstat's reply I figured I'd add the serial numbers of my 1965 Hollywood set (I'm the original owner and the drums all came together a few weeks or so after I ordered them). This should help Rick if he's interested. If the color is needed, all drums are pink champagne except the snare.Bass 22" 479175supra snare 14" 360466tom 12" 500972tom 13" 500999floor 16" 500857As I suspected my toms are all very close while my bass is a bit further off. The snare, because I wanted a chrome finish rather than a matching champagne, is way off from the rest...probably made considerably earlier than the other drums in the set. If I recall correctly the set was suppose to have a smaller bass (I think a 20") but I ordered a 22 inch which would explain why it's serial number is further off than the other toms.From the serial numbers on my set I'd say Ludwig did a good job of keeping drums that were produced together grouped in sets. Hope this helps out with any documentation anyone is doing.

Just now noticing this thread. Thanks for sharing information about your set. I am also from Kansas, sitting on the correct side of line in Kansas City.

Collecting information about the following for ongoing research projects:
Gretsch drums with serial numbers,
Ludwig Keystone and B/O badge drums with serial numbers and date stamps,
Ludwig Standards from 1968-73, and
Ludwigs with paper labels from 1971-72
www.GretschDrumDatingGuide.com
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here