Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

'67-'68 Thunder-Kind Pearl?

Hi all.

I am new to this forum. I received a 60's era silver sparkle drum set last year that I am working on restoring. I'm curious if this could be a Pearl Thunder-King from the '67 - '68 catalog. The owner who gave me this kit for FREE thought it may have been a Slingerland because the kick pedal was a slinger land. I don't believe it is. He bought it in 1970/71 second hand.

- The first thing that struck me was the double tom holder. The only one I could find that was identical is the Pearl's 67-68 catalog for the Thunder-King. As you'll see in the images below of the catalog and my kit, it's a vertical slide through mount like Ludwig's.

- The angled bass drum spurs are also identical, as are the lugs, and number of lugs all match the catalog as well.

- Oddly though, the sizes are 13", 13", 16" and 22". I have not encountered kits of this type with the same size rack toms.

Last, it has "Japan" stamped on the edge of the rack tom mounts, and floor tom legs, but it does not say "Pearl" on the face of the mounts like one or two that I have seen before. It also does not have a Pearl logo from that era. I have no idea if those came off easy or if they were screwed to the drum. There are no screw holes indicating something is missing.

Oh, and it's definitely luan mahogany (vertical grain) probably 3ply w/ reinforcement rings (I think Maple).

It does need some work. It is missing one of the spurs, one bass drum lug (I'm ordering a slinger land lug that matches it on eBay), a few tom lugs on the second 13" tom, and a bass drum hoop (I have my WMP on the rest side now).

Most important, it needs the bearing edges re-done. The previous owner played these like concert toms and so the edges are all dinged up from years of transport. I believe they are 30 degree outer and 45 degree inner.

I'm excited to restore it. It has older heads I pulled off another kit on it and with the missing lug on the kick, I've yet to hear it's full potential. Thoughts?

(see two pics below)

Posted on 7 years ago

Welcome to the forum, fellow Michigander! (I grew up in suburban Detroit).

Better photos would help, especially of the tom mount and the spurs, and the tom brackets and floor tom leg brackets.

It's also hard to tell, but does it have the cymbal mount on the bass drum (probably identical to the tom brackets).

It's not uncommon two see two rack toms that are the same size on MIJ kits, although it's usually 2-12"s and not 2-13"s.

You'll have fun restoring that kit. The folks here have a wealth of information about pretty much everything to do with vintage drums! Just ask.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here