Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

65/66 Rogers Delta Steel Grey Ripple

Thanks everyone, for the kind words. They really are a joy to play and a real eye catcher. Does anyone know why 14" floor toms were so rare with Rogers?

Posted on 8 years ago

18-12-14 was the combination for a bop set.

20-12-16 you could order the 14 to go with or replace the 16.

20-12-12-16... 14 not here. wouldn't balance

20-12-13-16... not enough separation here for a 14.

22-12-13-16... ditto.

22-13-16... replacing with the 14 just not natural.

Really don't know any better than that.... except to say it makes one believe those 14s were mostly special requests.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 8 years ago

Makes perfect sense. Thanks! So the bebop kits are also scare, so that makes me think standard configuration kits with 20" bass drums and larger were just more popular, thus explaining the rare status of Rogers bebop kits (with 18" bass drums) and 14" floor toms in general (due to a very logical concept for shell sizes/configurations from Rogers). Leave it to The Ploughman to unlock this mystery ��

Posted on 8 years ago

"Tonal versatility" is how Rogers put it in the '67 catalog where the featured kit, partially shown on the cover and immediately there in a color two-page spread just inside was the "Buddy Rich Headliner." It was a good deal less expensive than the Buddy Rich Celebrity, which was much closer to the set-up Rich used. But that smaller kit with the tonal versatility - high 12 and low 16 was featured in Buddy's choice of White Marine Pearl. That was a marketing strategy. I think that tended to increase the likelihood someone would order the Headliner with its 16-inch floor tom, even if they didn't choose the WMP color, because overall, Rogers seems to have sold many more kits in the 20,12,16 configuration than any of their other set-ups. Also many more in that set-up than the other manufacturers who tended more toward 20,12,14 or 22,13,16. I think the least seen sets might be the 20,13,16 arrangement, though Gretsch made quite a few and featured it in their catalogs. Leedy did too, but Leedy by volume was a much lower seller. Personally, I've really liked that latter setup for rock and roll.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here