Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

'65 Ludwig question

Hi, I'm new here... I recently decided to restore my dad's drumset. Well actually, it's two drumsets. They're 1965 Ludwig black diamond pearl finish.

2 - 9x13 toms

2 - 16x16 floor toms

2 - 14x22 bass drums

and 5x14 supraphonic

I'm pretty much finished cleaning the hardware now but, on all of the shells the wrap is coming up at the seam. I'm not really sure about how to fix this. I don't want to take the wrap off of the entire shell, I just want to get the seams back flush with the shells. Does anyone have any suggestions? Here are some pictures of the problem in question (before hardware was cleaned). Thanks in advance for any help!!

Posted on 17 years ago

I fixed some seams with...get this...crazy glue! It turns out that Crazy glue works great for this repair.

Run some painter's masking tape (the blue stuff) along both edges of the seam so that all the exposed wrap is protected. Then squirt some Crazy Glue (cyano-something or another...I used the gel) into the seam and then get some decent clamps and clap a piece of wood that's long enough to run the length of the seam (be sure to put some protective wood scraps on the inside, too so that the clamps don't mar the shell or the bearing edges). Make sure the wood is stiff enough to overcome the brittleness of the pulled-up wrap (I used a piece of solid maple) and clamp the wood down, along the seam positioned so that the entire length of the pulled-up wrap gets flattened. Try to get even pressure along the length of the seam, but don't over-do it or you'll run the risk of delaminating the shell plies. Leave the clamps in place for several hours. After you give the wrap and glue enough time to kind of "melt" together, you can remove the clamps and see if the glue held or not. You might have to repeat the process for stubborn areas.

That's what I did and it worked fine and is still holding strong!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I'll most definetely do that as soon as I get the chance.

I've got another question, where can I get the original wingnuts for the tom legs,bass drum spurs, etc.?

And, if I can't get the original winguts, where can I get some that size. The ones from home depot that fit that thread size are way smaller.Thanks!!

Posted on 17 years ago

A needle and syringe can be very useful trying to get small amounts of glue into those hard to get at places (sounds like a ad but you get my gist).

D

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here