Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

'65 Ludwig Jazz Festival

I have the shell of a May 15, 1965 Ludwig Jazz festival snare and am wondering if anyone knows why it has the holes drilled for a second baseball bat muffler for the bottom head? I am assuming it was a manufacturing mistake.

Also, the silver sparkle wrap was removed up to the point of where it was sandwiched between the wood plys. The reiforcement hoop on the batter side is almost all of the way un-glued. Coments on the worthiness of restoring it? Thanks.

Posted on 18 years ago

I doubt the extra muffler was a factory mistake. I'd guess it was done by the previous owner or his favorite repair shop. I'm sure it would be worthwile to have the drum brought back to playability...because of the mod, it wouldn't bring too much on the resale market...I'd guess about $200.

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I know the value as a collector drum is blown. I used the hardware with a Keller shell years ago and always get compliments on the tone of the current drum. I am just trying to decide if the oringinal shell is worth using since so much of the glue and structure needs to be fixed.

If I just glue and clamp the reinforcement ring back in do you think it will sound OK? I also hate to re-paint the interior white, but it's flaking off.

Posted on 18 years ago

It wouldn't be worth it to ME. If you want a Jazz fest, you can usually find a nice one on ebay for around $300.00-$400.00 (always depends on the finish and condition, of course)

Restoration: I would charge myself about $50.00 an hour for my labor and it would be more than a few hours of work...plus the material involved. Therefore, it would be less expensive for me to just buy one! But, like I say...That's ME. If you like to do those kinds of restorations, then it might be seen more as "fun" and less like "work".

Re-gluing the re-ring is an EASY job -IF you have the clamps. you'll probably need several of them. If you have to buy them, they can be rather expensive. Of course, the bearing edges would need to be re-cut or at least touched up after the glue was dry. As far as the wrap: Torn wraps and recover jobs on old 3-ply shells bug me. That little bit of wrap that's left over and stuck between the plies bugs me. Although they might sound just fine and while they would certainly make a superior "first drum" for a new student or something....that little detail just....bugs me! :)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

That's probably why it's been sitting for so many years. It was so much easier to put a new shell in it's place. I guess the "cool factor" is pretty much gone. I may see if there is a market for it on Ebay. Who knows, I might get enough to buy a new head for the one I play!

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here