Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

64 (ish) Slingy Rogers Paint Strip Freak Out!

So last night we had a little party at my friends house where we fixed up some Slingys. If you read the post in vintage drums that i just posted you will see the red/maroon sparkle kit that i just got. We just gave that kit a wipe down for now, but the real project was a kit for another friend of mine.

It is a mid-70's WMP slingy 22/13/16 kit that (after a good clean and polish) we realized was in very nice shape except that it needs some bass drum hoops. Working on that.....

The snare that was with the kit is a 64/65 ish Slingy Hollywood Ace that someone painted silver inside and out. The sad thing is, someone changed all of the lugs (including the snare) to Rogers beavertails, and the throw and butt to Rogers as well....which actually looks cool, but all the holes are widened on the kit to accommodate the change, and he drilled holes on the snare to accommodate the lugs, throw, and butt.

Unfortunately, before the previous owner painted his snare silver over the original wrap, he drilled new holes for Rogers snare lugs, and filled the old holes (at least he filled them) with wood putty. When we stripped all of that silver paint off to find a beautiful blue sparkle wrap under it, sadly we had to deal with the fact that there are filled holes showing all the way around the drum. The tension rods cover it up pretty good tho.

Anyway...here it is. The paint did a number on the wrap, and the 3M Safest Stripper we used dulled it a bit, but I think it can still be buffed up way better. It got really late last night and so we kind of left it as "good enough" and took a pic. Here is a before and after pic. Even though they arent the best pics you get the idea!

Ill post some pics of the kit when we get the hoops.

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

No one likes this thread. :confused: That was a lot of elbow grease I put in!

Just kiddin.

Adam

Posted on 13 years ago

Just the thought of what that kit has gone through is going to give me nightmares.

Wanna sell those Rogers parts?

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 13 years ago

Ouch. If the original Slinger lugs would fit the original wider hole placement, I think I'd convert back to Slingy parts. At least it would cover the original damage on the outside.

Posted on 13 years ago

They should require licenses for drill ownership like they do for guns... drummers ineligible to apply.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 13 years ago

I hear you guys totally! It sucks that people do these types of things.

This isnt my drum though. I was helping a friend fix it up. He isnt the type that is going to go out and buy all original parts or anything....didn't even really know what he had. I was so stoked to see the blue sparkle under the paint and then super bummed to see the extra holes.

Either way. Atleast it was sorta saved....and it sounds fantastic.

-Adam

Posted on 13 years ago

From thisbright14

I hear you guys totally! It sucks that people do these types of things.This isnt my drum though. I was helping a friend fix it up. He isnt the type that is going to go out and buy all original parts or anything....didn't even really know what he had. I was so stoked to see the blue sparkle under the paint and then super bummed to see the extra holes. Either way. Atleast it was sorta saved....and it sounds fantastic.-Adam

If he isn't super concerned with originality get some navy paint and hit the wood filler up, would be harder to see than the wood color it is now

1973 Slingerland Phantom 13,16,22
Late 30s Slingerland Radio King- 7x14
SJC Custom Snare Pink Sparkle- 8x14
62 Slingerland COB Radio King- 5x14
Posted on 13 years ago

Id feel bad putting blue marker on it. Hasn't this thing been hurt enough? flower

-Adam

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here