Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

'62 Ludwig SuperClassic to restore or not?

I have a Ludwig Super Classic 1962 Silver Sparkle

Keystone Badge (Pre-serial)

14x22,

2 x 9x13,

16x16,

Bongo's

I want to remove the second 13" and plug the extra holes with a dowel and wood filler and is it possible to cut round pieces of the wrap on the bongo's to match the wrap on BD.

Thanks!

2 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

I faced a similar issue with an extra cymbal mount that was installed on a BD shell. I found some lightweight and short aluminum screw type rivets / bolts at my local HW store and filled the holes with those. They blended in well on silver sparkle and gave me time to enjoy the new look and consider a more permanent fix. In my experience nothing will look perfect and this worked well for gigs for a long time and provided the option to replace the mount at a later date.

Later you can use wrap from the bongos (my vote no) or another scrap of wrap you find. There are good threads on VDF on plugging shells. Some recommend using a small piece of wrap from under a lug, but in my case this wrap was bright and shiny and would not match the faded wrap of the exposed shell.

my $.02.

Ludwig Drums ('65-'69)
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks,

I want to restore it and eventually sell it.

With the chrome plated carriage bolts it would have less value than the plugs right?

I emailed Steve Maxwell maxwelldrums.com with pictures of the kit and told me the value was $1200 as is.

It's in perfect condition beside the holes and a little ginger ale.

Shells have no cracks and no delaminated wraps.

If I remove the extra 13" and patch the holes a dowel and wrap from bongos, how much will it be worth then?

Posted on 10 years ago

If you're going to sell it, then sell it as-is. Let the new owner decide how he/she wants to handle the repair. I've done the repair you're dealing with on several occasions. I glue a dot of wrap to the end of a dowel and punch it through from behind until it's flush with the surface of the shell. Snip the excess from the tail end and sand flush. Paint if needed.

If it's for sale though, best to leave it alone.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

Finaly, i will keep them as they are.

If i sell, i feel i would regret it.

Thanks again!

Posted on 10 years ago

I removed the rail mount on my 1958 Gold Sparkle bass drum because using a snare stand for my 13" is more stable. I just left the holes because if I ever sell the kit I can put the rail mount back on. You really don't even notice the holes. I removed the cymbal mount too.

I don't understand why you would want to take away the option of a double tom set up.

If the holes bug you just use the carriage bolts. I would just leave the holes. They will be undetectable from the stage.

If it's not broken don't fix it.

Posted on 10 years ago

My vote is to use carriage bolts also. Then, if you decide to sell, the new owner can figure out what to do (or not do). Someone may be in the market for a double rack tom kit like this. I wouldn't mess with the wrap on the bongos...just sell them with the kit!

- EMD
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here