Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

62 Ludwig BD

A friend of mine gave me a 62 Ludwig BD that had been in his garage for many years. Whoever had it painted it red with a brush. What's the best way to remove the paint without doing too much damage and also the best way to clean up the hardware? The drum is in immaculate shape structurally. No extra holes or warping. In fact it has a calf skin head on one side in great shape. Thanks

Posted on 9 years ago

lowes sells some graffiti remover that is supposed to be real good on removing paint but not doing harm. i'd soak the hardware in dawn/water overnight and then polish. good luck!

mike

Posted on 9 years ago

Try dr. Motsenblocker's Lift Off #5. I used it to strip Vistalites that we're painted from the inside. It's gentle enough to not harm plastic but does a heck of a job on paint.

Posted on 9 years ago

be careful for the ump teenth time! some removers will remove the nitrous cellulose lacquer

or in the least melt it use a bio or citrus base i prefer a back to nature product as in ultra strip, brush it on in one direction (not the band) bag it with dry cleaner plastic or light weight plastic , let it cook over night , in the morning remove with plastic scrapers and a non abrasive scrubby, whats left repeat and final wash brand new , works great on hardware too

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks guys--this gives me a place to start.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here