Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

61/4 X 14 Converted Ludwig

Here's another Concert tom to snare conversion.

This is a 14" X 6-1/4" Ludwig snare I built out of an old late 70's 14 X 10 Concert tom. It's 6-ply Maple Poplar with clear Maple Interior.

I converted it pretty much the same way I did the Piccolo. I cut the top part of the tom off leaving the undrilled portion. Originally it was exactly 6-1/2" but But once again I lost almost a 1/4" after truing up the shell and have new baring edges and snare beds cut.

I measured it out for 10 Bowtie lugs. A P-85 Throw, A P-32 Butt Plate, a period correct TC with mounting bolt over the tone knob, and the air grommet hole.

The lugs, Throw off, tone Control, and tension rods are vintage. The Butt plate, snare wires, and wire cord are new. The hoops are NOT Ludwig they are 2.3mm Triple Flange Gibraltar Hoops. I went with these cause Ludwig hoops are incredibly expensive.

The Walnut wrap is original and in really good shape. There are some scratches and scuffs on it. But there are no cracks and the wrap seem is tight.

Posted on 8 years ago

Here's some pics of the inside.

She turn out really good and sounds really nice to.

Posted on 8 years ago

Nice job. Did you do the edges and snare bed yourself? I listen to the sound file you posted of this drum, it sounds fantastic.

Cam

"If we can't be free we can at least be cheap" -FZ
Posted on 8 years ago

From rillow64

Nice job. Did you do the edges and snare bed yourself? I listen to the sound file you posted of this drum, it sounds fantastic.Cam

Unfortunately no I didn't do them myself. I had a professional Custom drum builder do them. I did all of the measuring, drilling, sanding, cleaning polishing of the parts, and the assembling of the drum.

If I could do them I would but It's easier to pay my buddy to do them. He has more than 20 years experience building drums.

Posted on 8 years ago

I am in the process of having a 10x14" 6ply concert tom cut down into two 5x14's. I'm sure when all is said and done they will be more like 4.75x14" I'll have one and the other goes to my brother.

I'll plug and re drill the top portion and wrap it. The lower may get a stain.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 8 years ago

From clubdate64

I am in the process of having a 10x14" 6ply concert tom cut down into two 5x14's. I'm sure when all is said and done they will be more like 4.75x14" I'll have one and the other goes to my brother.I'll plug and re drill the top portion and wrap it. The lower may get a stain.

Very cool. I would like to see those when they are done.

Posted on 8 years ago

Well that's probably the next best way to get a Snare up to getting a vintage one. Its still a Ludwig vintage shell so that tone is locked into that aged and settled dried out wood and ludwig ply layup. Did you get the guy to cut the edges and beds like Ludwig would have?

40's Slingerland Radio King WMP
60's Ludwig Downbeat Silver Spark
70's Ludwig Super Classic White Marine
60's Gretsch RB Champaigne Spark
70's Rogers Big R Black
90's Sonor Hilite (Red maple)
00's DW Collectors Broken Glass
00's DW Jazz Series Tangerine Glass
10's DW Collectors (Acrylic) Matt Black Wrap
10's PDP Concept Wood Hoop kit (Maple)
Proud ambassador of the British Drum Company
Posted on 8 years ago