Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

'61 WMP Ludwig

Okay, let me run this past you guys to see what you think. I have a 1961 Ludwig (no serial numbers) keystone badge kit in 14x22, 9x13, 16x16. Great kit, all the parts there, good chrome, mostly round shells, BUT the white marine pearl is so faded in places that you can't tell it's WMP. The top of the bass drum, 2 panels of the tom, and about half of the floor tom all look like they were set up in the bright sun light for several years and the WMP that would be facing one direction is just plain white. The wrap has faded to the point that there is no "pearl" effect in the wrap just an off white color. Is this a situation where re-wrapping is okay? The drums just look bad and even though they sound great they look like a sh!tty old kit. I would like to recover in Precision's 60's black oyster pearl and make a Ringo kit out of them. What do you guys think? I know it's best not to recover if possible but I bought these cheap because they looked so awful. In the picture look at the tom panel with the badge, the top of the bass drum and you can't see the bad side of the floor tom because its turned in toward the throne. Please advise.

Posted on 14 years ago

Look good in the photo, have to see a better shot to make that call!

Posted on 14 years ago

So these are the Ludwigs that the wrap goes under the shell where it overlaps. I'll take some close up shots of the fading but if the wrap goes into the shell I'm not sure I want to mess with a re-wrap. Is there anything in the archives that shows how to re-wrap this type of shell? Thanks for the info. Close up shots in a few days.

Posted on 14 years ago

I like 'em!

Cool1

I'd leave 'em

D' Drummer

Posted on 14 years ago

They look good to my eyes -- but more pics would help.

Me, I'm a sucker for "butter cream pearl."

If you do decide to rewrap them, the best method I know of to remove the wrap at the seams is to soften it up with a heat gun and cut as close to the seam as possible with a very sharp exacto blade. (Others with more experience might have better methods.) Careful -- the wrap is extremely flammable and is likely to catch fire with that heat gun on it. Keep a wet rag on hand to put out any fires.

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here