Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

'61 wmp Ludwig snare

I purchased a Ludwig snare. WMP 6 bowtie lug, matching script P-83 strainer, P-32 butt end, white baseball bat muffler. Keystone badge dates the snare through this website as a '61, so everything is correct. My question is this. The shell is painted white, as all the 60's were, the stamp however is stamped 1951. WFL would have made the snare if this were correct, and the inside of the shell would have NOT been painted. Am I correct in this assumption, or blind in the area. I am guessing this snare was stamped 10 yrs earlier than it was suppose to have been. Please give me any insight as to if there are other snares you have heard of with this date stamp difference. I should also add that the shell has not been painted, it is factory, and the keystone badge has not been replaced to a later model. Thanks for any information, Bub

Posted on 16 years ago

Made a mistake in saying that it has a bb bat muffler. It actually has a round felt 3/4 knob.

Posted on 16 years ago

My guess would be that the stamper got the 5 mixed up with the 6...or, possibly, that it is in fact a 6 that has been partially rubbed off so that it kind of resembles a 5(?) Lots of times, the ink stamps are smeared or partially on a seam, etc. Oftentimes, they are hard to read. Could this be the case?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Thank you for your reply. It is certainly a 5. Looked at it alot. The key is that it is right next to a 9. The 5 is flat across the top, not rounded like a 6.

Posted on 16 years ago

Should definately be a 1961. Could very easily have been a stamp mix-up. WFL was not date stamping drums in 1951. I think the earliest date stamp I have seen is from around 1956. The ink was red up until sometime in 1965 when it changed to black. Sounds like a nice early 60's pioneer.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Appreciate the information! I am guessing that it was stamped wrong. Have you ever heard of this before? Perhaps a Friday late afternoon at the Ludwig factory!! Been there myself. Thanks in advance, Bub

Posted on 16 years ago

Still trying to figure out if this is a miss stamp on the shell. I need to clarify the strainer. It looks like a pioneer series strainer but with a script model bottom. Both are nickel, and look original. When did Ludwig manufacture this strainer is the question. Will try to add a picture, but in the past has been too large. Thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago

If you bought it on EBay - I'm guessing someone put different parts together and some of the parts just don't belong on it. The person putting the fraudulent drum together may not have known what badge goes with the different years and such.

I'm finding inconsistencies on a lot Ludwig drums out there.

I'm finding some guys on EBay who sell Ludwig drums - are buying grommets, badges and installation tools from other guys. Look at their feedback history and start looking at what they're selling vs what they're purchasing. It's all there - I know I'm making accusations, but I've seen some consistencies with this stuff.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here