Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

60s yamaha

hello all,

i am living in germany and i am in the market for a little vintage drumset

to play jazz, funk and rare groove gigs with .

my normal set is a gretsch which i bought in the early nineties.

it sounds phenomenal but the shell sizes dont go well with oldschool styles.

now of course my favourite second set would be a round badge gretsch 20/12/14 but this is really hard to get here or out of my financial league...

i came across an offer for this yamaha set amongst others, but i dont know anything about the early yamahas ( i once played a 9000 recording custom, but thats about it)

does anyone have an idea about this kits sound quality and direction?

i would have to drive some time to get to the dealer, so it would be nice to have some sort of idea what to expect.

also there is no snare to go with it...

thanks a lot!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I have been told by some people that those older Yamahas are pretty good quality -as far as early Japanese drum kits are concerned. They seem to have a better-quality shell than most from what I'm told.

Is all the hardware intact and in good shape? I don't see the "arm" that connects the tom to the bass drum, but I can see by the tom mount that it is a "clip mount" (which I HATE).

The wrap color is very nice (in my opinion).

-$200-$300 would be my limit for those -IF I was looking for some.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

hmm, ok it is listed for 490 €

20"/13"/16"

what is a clip mount tom holder?

have never seen these.

and how much is a decent 60's gretsch 20 / 12 / 14 or 20 / 13 /16 set in the states?

thnaks

Posted on 15 years ago

No way is it worth 490 Euros!

(In my opinion, of course)

The clip mount is a really terrible style mount that has a "tongue" of metal on the arm that slips into the "clip" on the tom. They rattle like crazy and those gigantic metal mounting plates are energy-zappers. Again, these are my opinions. Someone will inevitably have a different opinion.

Plus, you need to make sure that the bass drum spurs, the tom arm and the cymbal arm are all there. For that price, it should come with all proper hardware and cymbals!

Gretsch? Round badge Gretsch are worth a lot of money now. I'll leave it to a Gretsch expert to answer the valuation question.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

aha,

thanks for your responses!

Posted on 15 years ago

Nice original 20/14/12 round badge kits with a snare in highly sought after colors are fetching $3500 to as much as $5500. Occasionally a kit can be found for less if the color is more common, or perhaps the condition is not quite as good, but you should expect to pay $3000 anyhow, even if it is a common color .

20/16/13 ? Figure $ 1500 -1800 with a snare .

1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 15 years ago

I just picked up a nice 20,12,14,5x14 steel,all with matching serial numbers!.I cleaned them up,they were very dirty,but the hardware is very solid and the lugs are brass.Its a blk oyster kit with a rail mount,and im told the shells are birch or beech or both?,and they are painted Gretsch[y] greyish.No mods all original in v/g condition...What do you Yammy guys think they might be worth....ball park??...These drums are every bit well made as anything else i,ve ever seen......And the bass drum and snare are 8 lugs which i believe make it a D-20 ensemble.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 15 years ago

Worth Schmerth! That is one very cool wrap! Dang! Why couldn't American drum builders catch hold of those very groovy sweet cool wow on the eyes kind of wraps? So frustrating.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here