Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

60's supra vs. 70's

I aquired a 5x14, 10 lug Ludwig Supraphonic. Fantastic condition. Badge number dates it to 1964. Has COB rims, steel shell. My question is this. The strainer is a P-83 with the 70's logo. Not the script. Can someone give me advice as to identify the early 60's model shell to the 70's. The badge looks original, but the shell and lugs are close to mint! Also can someone give me some things to look for as to determine if the badge is original to the shell. Thanks for any help!!

Posted on 17 years ago

Sorry, was wrong about the shell. Magnet doesn't stick, Drums weighs little over 7 lbs. Alum??? How do you tell?

Posted on 17 years ago

If you can post some pictures it would be helpful. I'm not completely sure what you are asking. Your Supra is LIKELY made from "Ludalloy" -which is a fancy trade name for Ludwig's aluminum alloy. Most all Supras are Ludalloy. A few are brass. I think the brass shells were heavier and so that is one way to tell the difference. 7 lbs sounds about right for an alloy drum -not a brass version. I, personally, love the sound of Ludalloy Supras. I think they are easily some of the best-sounding snare drums made in ANY price range.

Replaced badges are usually detectable (scratches around the eyelet, different kind of grommet, etc.). What you describe on the '64 would most certainly have to be a replaced P-83 because they didn't start using the block logo until somewhere around 1969, I think. A '64 P-83 would have had the script logo.

60's badge is the keystone badge and the 70's badge is the Blue and Olive parallelogram.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Sorry, was wrong about the shell. Magnet doesn't stick, Drums weighs little over 7 lbs. Alum??? How do you tell?

The brass shells will have a seam that is easily seen from the inside. The Ludalloy is seamless (spun aluminium). COB's weight over 10lbs.

John

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here