Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

60s Star Drum Kit ??

Hi Guys,

I know very little about Japanese drums. I bought this kit on ebay 2 or 3years ago because I loved the custom marine themed paint job. I was told they were a 60s Star drum set. There were pictures of the drum badges in the add but I never got them with the kit as promised. He claimed he shipped them with the kit but they just weren't there. The only proof I have is the BD head. I noted 3 reinforcement hoops in the BD and FT. The BD lugs have been changed out with Rogers for some reason. I'm told that Star changed to Tama in the early 70s and know all Tama gear still carries some form of "Star" designation.

Is this a 60s Star kit ? Any additional info from you subject matter experts are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

Posted on 7 years ago

Whoa! That was a labor of love for someone! Very cool!

The Slingerland copy lugs would indicate Star but I'm thinking maybe that tom mount is a modification or some kinda Pearl??

That's a head turner for sure.

Posted on 7 years ago

I agree-Star made.

Posted on 7 years ago

Yep, made by Star!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 7 years ago

I would agree - Star, but the only thing that confirms that is the FT leg mounts. Perhaps the tom mount, but I am less familiar with those.

The lugs on the BD are oval badge era Rogers (made by Yamaha) R-360/380.

The "labor of love" gives insight into the kind of drummer it was previously owned by: someone who spares nothing in regards to love and care - and who pays close attention to detail.

Therefore, my guess is that it sounds AMAZING....because I know from first hand experience that they do when approached with the right mindset.....and he/she certainly spared no effort it making it the best it could possibly be.

I hope all my projects will lead to the same level of results.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 7 years ago

Indeed this is a 60s kit. The receiving mount on the tom is a modern modification - and the mounting arm off the BD may also be non-Star modern.

If you ever want/need to change the BD batter head, slap an Aquarian SKI on there and you will be all grins. Some muffling may also be needed on the reso head as well if it doesn't already have some.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 7 years ago

Yep early Star, pity about the badges, they are becoming rarer than the drums. Cool paint job.

Posted on 7 years ago

Bass drum lugs look like Rogers 360..

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello,

If this is a Star kit, the rack tom should be without a hole for the tom arm (unless someone had made the modification for the Pearl-style tom arm, lateron).

Can you, please, make a close-up pic from the snare lever?

Cheers, Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks guys,

You've confirmed that I do have a 60s Star kit here. I do appreciate all your inputs. I know the kit has been "cobbled up " over the years. The rack tom mount is not original and either is the SD throw off but it is what it is and I got what I got. It is a cool kit though and I love it's in your face mojo and think it would be a great kit for a drummer in a surf band.

Thanks again !

Drum Doug

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here