Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

60's Slingerland Artist SS snare wire question

Can anybody tell me which wires came stock on the 60's ( Niles Gold Badge ) solid shell Artist snare drums ? I just purchased a very nice drum but the wires can't be right . It is the SOZ2014 ( 20 strands , 14" long ) set with a strap on one side and two holes on the other ( see pic ) . No way these can be " centered on the bottom head . Any info appreciated .

1 attachments
1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 16 years ago

That looks right to me, the strap just needs to be let out some, with the slack pulled up at the strings.

This might help:

http://www.puresoundpercussion.com/snare_applications/slingerland_zoomatic_p-1420/slingerland_zoomatic.html

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

That looks right to me, the strap just needs to be let out some, with the slack pulled up at the strings. This might help:http://www.puresoundpercussion.com/snare_applications/slingerland_zoomatic_p-1420/slingerland_zoomatic.html

That's just it ; it can't be let out . By that I mean the strap is just making it under the butt clamp as it is .

1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 16 years ago

I think your close, but the strap is a little too short. Probably done in the life of the drum...

The butt side end plate has to be off the bearing edge because the metal strap is being held in by the metal end pin...

The blue drum in the Puresound Photo is mine and I spent a while getting the wires just right so the wires stayed flat and the only way to do that is have the butt side end plate just at the bearing edge...

The way yours looks, it might be 1/4" away or more from their final resting spot...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Those are the original snares...just another typical Slingerland thing that doesn't make a whole lot of sense!

Posted on 16 years ago

I just bought these same wires earlier today off of Ebay. :)

This seller has been selling these original wires from this old music store inventory for several months and is now out of them. See pic 1. They are 15" long, I never realized that these could be the right size wires for the 14" Radio King, but I measured the length of the wires that came on the Radio King that I bought and they are 15" long too with that same metal fastening band . See pic 2. They are positioned like Jazzbo has on the butt side, sticking out through the gate and ending directly below the outer post on each end. see pic 2.

My question is are these the right wires for the 14" Radio King with a 3 point strainer or do they belong on a 15" Concert King? And if they are - are these also the correct/same wires that would have come with a 1958 or 59 Leedy/Slingerland Shelley Manne snare with the 3 point strainer? See pic 3 & 4. Or what would be the right ones...

I wish I would have bought 2 more pairs. Now I am not sure if these are right even though they seem to work. Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey Mike...

Here is a nice example of a Shelly Manne in the TommyP collection.

Set up correctly...

Click Here

David

and a few Radio Kings here

Posted on 16 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention, the wires you have pictured are for the Zoomatic strainer that Jazzbo has.

Those were just a tab on the butt side...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

David,

Thank you! That solves the mystery on the wires that I bought. They should work even if they aren't the right ones I am thinking.

But it seems that the right wires are 15" long 20 strand wires with the metal tabs (or fastening straps) on both ends. This would be used for both the Shelly Manne and the Radio King if they have the 3 point strainer and the bridge extension on the butt side.

Does that sound right?

BTW, Tommyp's Shelly Manne is a beautiful looking example! As usual.

Thanks, now I feel less confused and like I actually know something about this subject.

Mike

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here