Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

60's Rogers set: Holey Batman !!

Hi all. What would you do with these?

A) Nothing

B) Fill 'em

C) Fill 'em and rewrap

D) Sell 'em for parts

I've got a 20/12/16 Holiday Dayton sticker and 14 Tower snare Cleveland sticker.

The snare has what appears to be a Slingerland 590 base assembly attached to it. As far as the floor tom holes go, I turn to you for wisdom and guidance. The 20 and 12 do not have any extra holes, but the floor tom looks like swiss cheese! The holes on the 2nd and 4th pics line up with the Rogers drum plates(swivo-matic), but would be contoured the opposite of the drum. Perhaps these were for cymbal mounts??? Any advice is appreciated.

5 attachments
108.7 kB
109.2 kB
108.5 kB
109.2 kB
122.7 kB
Jeff
Posted on 14 years ago

They're junk, just send them to me and I'll throw them away for you.....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

I wouldn't re-wrap them. All I want in the world is WMP Cleveland Rogers kit with a nicely aged wrap. I would take the tower, but matching wood dyna would be the business!

Back to reality...

First I would make sure the drums are in round by checking out the re-rings-and make sure that the edges are good..no cracks or gouges etc. Tune em up with whatever heads you have laying around and see if they are in playable shape.

If they are going to sound good, I would take off all the extra or non original parts and see if I could use them for any other projects first. If not I would get rid of them on fee-bay or locally to try to make a few bucks towards getting the missing hardware or repro stuff to make them playable. Sound like all you need is a snare side hoop? Is anything else missing or non original?

With the significantly lowered "collector value" the snare and floor have because of all the holes, I would take them on the road and play the crap out of them as a kit! I would fill all the extra holes (if it bothered me) and play them all the time without worrying about destroying their resale value. I wouldn't even care about having the original hardware on all of the drums really...

Thats just me though. I love 60's Rogers WMP kits and really would love to play one out all the time. This seems like a great candidate for that sort of thing.

If you are looking to completely restore them and store them away, and you aren't partial to the finish, then yeah....strip em down, fill the holes, re-wrap them, touch up the insides, find all the original era hardware, shine up the chrome, and they will look beautiful. Probably cost you $250 bucks or something + labor.

I would guess those two options would be a horse apiece as far as "resale value"....unless you find someone looking for a really nicely re-wrapped players kit.

On the other hand you could find similar year snare and floor tom shells with no extra holes and throw them into the rewrap kit and come out....probably about the same.

So many options! Nice drums! How much did you get em for/where did you find them?

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Also what do you want for them? I am getting kinda excited here I must say.

Thanks!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Adam, the only parts missing from the original are the resonate rims on the toms and whatever those holes were drilled for plus 3 set screws. I'm in the process of cleaning them, and you know how long that can take. I'm going to put some new heads on them and try 'em out before I do anything. If they sound half as good as I hope they do, they'll be going to my next gig on the 23rd. To answer your question, I paid $350 for them and found em on CL.

Jeff
Posted on 14 years ago

Rad.

Great score! I hope to find something similar someday at a reasonable cost. Like I said...the extra holes and stuff don't really bother me so I am hoping to find one for somewhere around $500 someday. I wanna play em...don't really care about the collector value....though obviously the better condition they are in the happier I would be!

Hope they work out nice for you! Be sure and post some pics when you get them up and running!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

I've got a similar set. 12/16/20 Dayton's. The 12 & 20 have been rewrapped, and are *way* different. The pic doesn't show the change in color very well. The lighting favors them. Mufflers stripped. A Pearl mount added to the bass. First thought was to fill the holes, hunt down Swivo stuff, then wrap them. After thinking about it, and research, I'm gonna take the middle ground. Wrap the floor, 'cause I'd like to have them close. And close is as good as it'll get, so... Leave the mounts. The holes are already done, Swivo stuff will run $200., or so, and this is a gigging kit. The Pearl's more functional. Solider, memory locks {a Rogers first!} and I can put a ride cymbal in the second hole. One less stand in the bag!..... Stop at that, and get them playing. Gonna do the tom this weekend. Three gigs next week. Here we go! Aloha, Bill D.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

I've got em ready for this weekend ! Need to do a little fine tuning, but they're sounding really good to me. Might plug the floor tom in the near future, and let it go for now. Before and after on the floor tom. Here's some pics.

5 attachments
140.6 kB
131.8 kB
122.3 kB
113.8 kB
109.8 kB
Jeff
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here