Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

60's Rogers... Holiday?

Ok, I'm no drum expert, my mother got these from a family friend back when I was in high school and I tried for about 6 months to play them and they have been in storage since. (13 years) There are a few questions I'm trying to find out regarding them..

What exact year are they? I have looked on a guide on the Rogers website but can't place the date...

Where can I locate orignal hardware for minor restoration...I've checked local dealers and no such luck...

Estimation of value.... my mother had it appraised several years ago at $700 but I am unsure how much of the current discrepancies existed then, but the drums have been in storage since the appraisel sooo.... /shrug.

The badging I have figured out is from the 60's but so far that is about all I I have found..

Here are the serial numbers off of some of the pieces.

Floor tom S/N 59852

Tom S/N 59216

Dynasonic Snare S/N 54580

The set also comes with high hat Crash and Ride cymbals, that I belive to be from the same era as the drumset.. I have the throne stand but the padded seat has since been lost..

There are a few small things that need fixing.

One of the bolts on the Swiv 0 matic has the head sheared off (i'm attempting to find a replacement)

One of the wires on the snare has come loose.

Everything is original to the best of my knowledge, I currently have them up on craigslist for $700, too much? not enough??

[IMG]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1008/rogers62vt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7197/rogers125dy.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3126/rogers37mb.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 18 years ago

The snare drum according to the lists, after 1970. I think about 1974.

There are other people that know more about this stuff than I do. The bottom snare hoop is the same as on the Big R drums from 1975 onwards. One of my Dynasonics is in the 530xx range. I also think the tension rods on the snare are replacements. Its a nice looking 4 piecer.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 18 years ago

Yes, contact TommyP he is a forum member, he knows Rogers.

He will probably also answer your question

David

Posted on 18 years ago

skeeterflea!

There are MANY answers to your questions... so let's start here:

The COB Dynasonic serial #54580, actually dates to approx. 1970. This tells us that the BOTTOM HOOP/snare guard is incorrect. That particular hoop/guard came out in 1976. So... The rest of the drum appears to be all there, so that's fine. The drum will sound the same regardless of the bottom hoop! Now,

Regarding the rest of the kit: The color/wrap is called New England White. What's interesting here is, that color debuted in 1973, with it's final year of availability being 1976. So that tells us the approx. year/range of your kit. Now, the hardware tells us a bit more:

Based on WHAT I can make out in your pictures, your HH stand is the 1st model Rogers Supreme. This HH stand came out in... 1973! The cymbal stand also dates from 1973. I'm not totally sure on the snare drum stand... it almost looks like a Japanese import model. A closer view would help tidy that up. Also,

I would need closer views of the Swivo hardware on the bass drum AND the floor tom leg Knobby's. That would help me date the drums more accurately. Having said all this,

I think you have a 1973 Rogers "Starlighter" kit in New England White pearl/wrap. If the drums are in real nice shape... ( and they appear to be ) ... $700.00 is a fair price. It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway,

The MOST DESIREABLE Rogers kits/drums are from the early to late 60's... ( post Beavertail's! ) ...with the exception being the earlier Dynasonic snare drums in either wood or brass. But!... 70's era Rogers have their supporters too! They ARE nice drums... just not as desireable/collectible as the 60's models, or PRE CBS if you will. Thus, they don't command as much in the way of price.

Regarding PARTS: Just about EVERYTHING you want/need can be found on eBay... just about all the time too! If not eBay, try Dave Drew at Al Drew Music in Woonsocket, RI. He has TONS of parts, many NOS and in the era that you need. Dave has listings on eBay constantly. You can even inquire THROUGH one of his eBay auctions via email.

Hope this was helpful!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Is it possible that EVERY Script Logo Dynasonic you see for sale in the +50xxx range has the WRONG bottom hoop?

Posted on 18 years ago

The Ploughman!

To answer your question regarding the bottom hoop/guard in a word: NO!

Remember: THIS particular hoop/guard came out in 1976... this Dynasonic predates that by many years. As a matter of fact, Dynasonics are very hard to track after say serial number #68000, and those drums are of approx. 1970 manufacture, give or take.

I have based my dating of Dynasonics on facts/figures/educated guesses by talking at length with a few different Rogers experts over the years, then compiling all of that into a timeline. It has been pretty accurate. Also,

Because I own/play Rogers Dynasonics, I have been able to get a bead on manufature dates from those drums as well. I have owned a total of 10 Dynasonics over the years, wood and COB, with the earliest being a 1964, and the latest being a 1976, and pretty much everything in-between. It has all helped in trying to figure out the dates of manufacture. Currently,

I own/play 4 Dynasonics... two WMP, a 1966 and a 1967, and two COB, a 1964, and a 1965. Of interest is that my drums are sequential and start at 1964, and end at 1967.

Hope this was of help!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

The Ploughman!

You know, I've been thinking about the Dynasonic bottom hoop/guard and serial number on this particular drum. I wasn't totally sure as some doubt was raised... and like all things of this nature, there is room for error. Having said that,

I finally got a chance to dig through my Rogers catalogs and look up exactly when that hoop/guard was introduced. Here's what I found: It was already in place by 1976, and as luck would have it, I don't have Rogers catalogs from 1974 or 1975... thus, no way for me to check. I DO have a 1973 Rogers catalog/parts list though, and the hoop/guard during this year is still the original design... so ...

I think the point has to be conceded, the drum is at least a 1974, as you have stated. That also means that the serial numbers I have from this point are also suspect. Truth be told,

My Rogers knowledge/snares/kits are ALL earlier... from 1960 up to 1970. I really never got too involved past 1970, and any Dynasonics from that era and above, I sold. So,

Skeeterflea's kit is still correct in it's dating from 1973 to 1976 based on the wrap... BUT! ... I would now say that the kit/Dynasonic are most probably from 1974 based on your information regarding this particular COB Dynasonic... which makes sense as it is STILL within the proper year of manufacture for his kit. Cool!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Like I stated before, there are people that know way more than I do about Rogers. This is their information.

I also did some research. The 1973-74 catalogue, which you can download from www.drumarchive.com/Rogers, shows the 1973 drum, not sure of the serial number from the pics, but it is with the standard swivo era bottom hoop. That didnt help much. I also checked with some long time Rogers collectors, and found one who purchased his Dynasonic in the fall of 1974, serial number in the 44xxx range, and it came new with the Big R style hoop. So from at least that sequence range of serial numbers through to the end of production in the 9/72 era of Rogers, this bottom hoop was used. Also the transition era dynasonics had the Big R badge in the same location as the original Custom Built oval badge and also the Script Logo Rogers badge. This was phased out as the 9/72 era shells were used up, and the Big R badge was moved to the panel we are familiar with seeing. I really thank those guys that have spent so much time sorting this assortment of difficult facts into something understandable.

So with all of that, and his serial number on the Dynasonic, I would revise my guess to Spring or Summer 1975. Hoop is original.

I have 4 COB Dynasonics, including a 7 line 10xxx drum I got from Kelly Smith, and 2 maple Big R Dynasonics, the maple Big R Dynasonic 6.5x14 is a very nice nice drum.

I never liked new england white, but that is a nice 4 piece kit. I love 4 piece kits.

And thank you. Great vintage site.

Posted on 18 years ago

Hey Ploughman...

I have TWO 7 line COB Dynasonics... the earliest one's serial is #2433. Tall Hoops/Clockface/B&B's... none cracked. Absolute near mint condition. My other 7 line is serial #7694. Beavertails/Swiv-o-Matic throw... near mint condition as well. BOTH drums sound fabulous. Both my WMP Dynasonics are also early, a 1966 and a 1967... near mint too.

Charlie Costello ( DynaPro ) is a very good friend of mine... Charlie and I have spent literally HOURS talking about the Dynasonic snare drum. I also spent time chatting with the late Kelly Smith, and of course Bobby Chiasson, and this is where a LOT of my information/timeline came from. All these guys are the top collectors. Just goes to show you... and even they would tell you, there is room for error on a lot of this dating. The 1974 Dynasonic your friend owns notwithstanding of course!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here