Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

60s Premier Shells and Sound?

I've come across a 20/12/16 Premier kit locally from the mid 60s. Were told the heads were pre-international, which means I'll have to order replacements. But it's still well priced. Love their snares (Have a wood and COB Hi-Fi and a Piccolo COB Royal Ace), but know little about their sets. What were their edges like? And sound? Was it more of a Rogers/sharp edge punchy sound or more like a Ludwig/Slingerland sound? Or maybe in between like a Gretsch or Camco? The shells changed to mahogany in the early 70s, so I think this kit is beech or birch. Any further info on tuning range/sound/edges would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on 8 years ago

The shells will be Finnish Birch with Beech re-rings

Generally speaking the edges should be in fantastic condition, the build quality was far better than the hit and miss quality of Ludwig etc

Posted on 8 years ago

If well cared for, vintage Premier shell integrity and structure is second to none. That being the case, the birch shells have a distinctly different tonal character than vintage American made drums. In general, I would describe them as producing less low end with emphasis on mid and high range. Resonance is excellent. The drums demand to be tensioned and set as vintage Premier drums; not as you would when dealing with older Ludwig, Slingerland, etc. They are what they are, so be aware if you purchase them that they demand respect on their own terms. Having just finished my morning workout on a large set of them I offer the above viewpoints on experience.

Posted on 8 years ago

I have a pre international kit, 20 12 16, and absolutely love the sound, especially the floor tom is magnificent, very timpani like and resonant.

I also have 60's Ludwigs, Camco and Rogers, but the Premiers certainly hold their own, soundwise if forced to compare probably most like the Rogers with a little Camco thrown in. Extremely well made drums.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely go check these out. The "low and fat"/dry Slingerland-ish sound isn't my thing and I was concerned the mahogany Premiers would be more like that. So these birch shelled ones sound like what I'm looking for.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here