Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

60's Premier kit - metric heads?

Hi All,

I was fortunate enough to come across my 3rd vintage Premier kit locally. I'm a big fan of these, and this newest acquisition looks like 1960's era. To my dismay, I tried changing the 16" floor tom head and it didn't fit! OH NO! Metric drums.

Doing a bit of searching here, I found that Remo makes a certain number of international sized models; Ambassadors, maybe Emperor, Pinstripe ... with the model numbers ending in "PR" (i.e. BA-0114PR" or something similar). Does anyone have a good online shop to find these? Or should I just visit my local shop? (support your local economy!)

For the record, two different USA-made heads did not fit my floor tom: both the Remo coated Ambassador and Ludwig clear batter were slightly too small.

Since I haven't tried the 12" or 20" drums yet, do you recommend that I buy all new international-sized heads for each? I have some heads already that I was hoping to use, but I have a feeling none will fit.

Sorry I have no pics yet, but will update this thread with them soon. Three drums I bought (with a 1971 Ludwig Supraphonic included - bonus!) were 12", 16", and 20" - black wrap. Unfortunately someone replaced all the rounded, slotted tuning lugs with traditional square-headed ones. Also one side of the bass drum had the L-handled tuning rods replaced by standard drum key long rods. Fortunately all the hoop hooks are original! I think all the rims and hoops are original too. Judging from the holes in the drums, these originally had the old style tom mount, where the tom attachment was near the bottom of the tom, and the bass drum mount had a triangular base.

I hope to restore all the tuning rods, the bass drum rods, and change all the heads soon. Any advice you have is welcome!!

Pics coming!

Posted on 12 years ago

Depending on how old it is, it is probably just the 12" and 16" that are metric. The 12 is closer to 11 7/8" and the 16 to 16 1/4"

I buy them locally and they are only a couple of bucks more per head.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks comover - I'll try to order thru my local store and see how I fare.

Tonight I'll try changing the bass drum head and see what fits. Hopefully I'll have a few pictures too!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here