Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

60's Pearl Drums

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I am looking for some info. I recently picked up an old Pearl kit and was trying to determine the value. It appears to be 3 ply maple with the re-rings, turquoise sparkle, large silver script badge; 22-13-16. I normally just deal with Vintage Ludwigs, but I found this on CL and couldn't pass it up for the price.

Thanks in advance.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome

Well, putting a hard value to these is tough. Most people don't consider Japanese drums "collectible", hence the hard part. Those appear to be, judging by the lugs, mid-late 60's. The best part is they are honest to Pete Pearls, and not one of the stencils. As far as a real value, they look to be in really good condition. Have the edges been re-cut, or has anything been changed on them? If the edges are rounded over, then for sure they are original, if they are cut, a good photo would be in order to determine if they are factory cut or not. I have a stencil Pearl that is a copy of a Slingerland with the old style stick-saver rims. It is a [B][I]single ply with rings[I][B], and the edges were cut, but looked like a kid in high school wood shop cut them.

If you could post a few more shots, closer in and focus on some of the hardware, maybe pull a head or two and get a good, clear shot of the edges, it would be easier to estimate. That said, if all of the stands and cymbals appear to be original, they would land somewhere in the 300 range, max. Unless of course, you run into someone who collects only Pearls, then you might get a little more. If you are thinking of selling, let me know, those are nice looking drums.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That's nice. If all of the drums are matching and original to the set, and it's in good tack....around $350-400. If the condition is mediocre, like pitted hardware, nicked up/scratched wrap, etc...maybe $300. If the condition is less than that (i.e. rust and torn or bubbled wrap), maybe $175-250 tops.

...this is roughly for the drums, not incl. any hardware such as stands, pedals, etc.

...a recut of the batter side bearing edges significantly improves the sound of these, BTW....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here