Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 110.82255%

60s Ludwig Snare Wanted in WMP wrap

Hi,

I am looking for a ludwig snare from the 60s to match my new kit. My kit is stamped June of 68 but I don't really have to have the snare from the same year. If you know of one...please drop me a line. thanks dave

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Dave, Thought I'd respond here also, as I thought I could give you some ideas, and insight to your snare drum wants. Hope you see my post.

While finding a suitable, and matching mid-'60's WMP Snare is not an impossibility, one might have a problem getting an absolute correct color match on the WMP Wrap due to fade, and age. One drum or set may spend it's life in a protected enviorment, or case, and look like new. Others might spend the majority of their lives in smoke filled bars, so there's always going to be some variance.

About the only way you be insured of getting a good compatible match is by trying to find a suitable candidate Snare Drum at a Drum Show. In this instance, you can tow your small tom along with you, and then compare wraps, should you find a snare that "might" match.

It also should be noted that a compatible '60's WMP Ludwig Snare in very good original condition can carry a quite hefty price tag. I wouldn't be at all surprised at a $400-$500, and up for a prime example.

On the other hand, you have another, less expensive option, and that would be a Ludalloy '60's Chrome over Aluminum Supraphonic 400 Snare Drum.

Actually back in the '60's just about everyone wanted Chrome Snares with their sets regardless of brand versus a wood snare.

Not that the wood snares were bad mind you, it was just the craze back then I guess for awhile. This is one of the reasons why a lot of Wooden Snare Drums can carry a higher price tag, there were less of them made, hence supply, and demand. Take a Wood Rogers Dynasonic for example.

Another compatible Drum with your kit would be the '60's Ludwig Super-Sensitive (Ah, the Joe Morello Drum!) In a comparable condition though, the Super-Sensitive usually carries a bit higher price tag. Sure you could use a early '60 Chrome over Brass Supra too, but these in very good condition can carry a price of $600, and up.

The '60's Ludalloy Keystone Badge Supras have a killer sound, are a very good versatile drum, and generally one in, or near pristine ondition can be found for $300 or less.

The beauties of these '60's Supra Snares, is there will be no wrap compatibility issues, less money than a comparable condition WMP Snare, and will look just as much at home in your kit as the WMP Snare Drum. Hope this helps, Mark

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Dave, I've written to you privately about a couple of items you might have interest in, Mark

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here