Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

60's Ludwig silver sparkle questions...

I recently found at a garage sale a set of early 60's (no serial on badge). 20" bass, 12 tom and 14 floor tom. I'm pretty sure this is all matching. the guy bought it new and its been in his basement the whole time. I would like to restore this set and have some questions.

1. the bass legs are pointed. is this original?

2. there are 2 straight legs on the fl tom and 1 with jog. which would have been orig.?

3. what heads would have come with the kit?

4. there was only 1 hoop. where can i get another 20" hoop? do they make new hoops or do i need to find a vintage one.

5. the hoop i have has no inlay. where can i get a silver sparkle inlay?

where can i get a cymbal mount for the bass drum?

6. i need 8 t's and claws as well.....does it matter if they are from the 60's or 70's?

I posted in the want ads for the hoop, mount t's and claws...just thought id ask here too.

i would appreciate any help i can get with this project because this is my first attempt at a restoration.

Sincerely,

Phil

2 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

welcome phil. nice find there. that would be ludwig classics in a downbeat configuration.

1-pointed bass drum spurs are correct. they need the rubber tips on them that can be found on ebay or someone here.

2-the floor tom legs should not be straight. only the clubdate floor toms of this period were straight.

3-it would have come with ludwig plastic heads. you can actually buy replacement ludwig heads still.

4-you can buy new hoops. i'd try to find an original here or on ebay.

5-new silver sparkle inlay can be bought online. but it may be too bright to match your kit. try to find some used inlay if possible.

the cymbal mount is missing. make sure you get the first generation mount if it is a pre serial model. you'll have to get this used. it takes an eyebolt instead of a wingnut. you'll then need the l arm and the top part of the cymbal arm as well.

6-those t's and claws should be easy to find. might have even been the same 60's/70's.

hope this helps some...

mike

Posted on 11 years ago

well,congrats on that purchase. you got quite the deal as you know. amazing! would love to see the cymbals...

mike

Posted on 11 years ago

here is a link to an auction just to show you the type of cymbal arm that you will be looking for. also, your cymbal mount that you need is the same mount as your bass drum spurs, as long as they have the originals still on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ludwig-Bass-Drum-Mounted-Cymbal-L-Arm-Early-60s-RARE-/181002639444?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item2a24991854

mike

Posted on 11 years ago

sent you a private message!!

Posted on 11 years ago

looks like the spurs are flipped, the other end goes in the mount.

Posted on 11 years ago

The BD spur thats shown, should be on the opposite side mount.

I think the heads would have been semi gloss with the Blue Ludwig stamps.

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

Nice find!

I've got a 20" Ludwig bass hoop from 1966 if you still need one. Mine has a red sparkle inlay that someone painted over with black paint; you can remove the inlay and replace with silver sparkle if you like. It does have some dents and dings. PM me if you're interested.

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 11 years ago

Phil,

Great find, and welcome to the forum!

I agree with everything mlayton said. He's got it covered for you!

And, I might have some silver sparkle inlay -- I save everything, and do have an old silver sparkle marching bass drum in my stock. With Thanksgiving coming up this week, it will be Friday before I get a chance to look through what I've got. I'll be in touch.

Good luck!

Bill

BTW -- I take it the blue oyster drums that are also in the pic weren't included in the deal?

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 11 years ago

inlay would be awesome....let me know.....i did find a 20" hoop but I have to refinish it...it has gold inlay and will need the silver sparkle.....and yes the oyster drums were part of the deal.....total coincidence, my cousin has a matching blue oyster bass so i gave the toms to him.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here