Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

60's Leedy Shelly Manne COB Snare

Hola Amigos,

I picked up this early/mid-60's Leedy Shelly Manne COB snare. It's the 5x14, 8-lug version and sounds fantastic! I've been playing it with my '58 Luddy kit and it's a match made in heaven. I wanted to save up a ton of scratch to buy a Ludwig Super 400 with matching transition badge, but I gave up on that pursuit after buying this gem for a fraction of the cost. I had to purchase a new Leedy 3-point strainer, as the original was broken, but it fit and functions perfectly. I am a happy, happy guy now. :)

- EMD
Posted on 11 years ago

I love the Slinger-Leedy drums! While Slingerland let these drums fade away, they at least designed those cool snare drum lugs. Your drum looks great with the new Leedy strainer. Enjoy!

Posted on 11 years ago

Classic looking beauty !!!

Aaron, is that a new strainer, where did you get it from if I may ask?

Posted on 11 years ago

From idrum4fun

I love the Slinger-Leedy drums! While Slingerland let these drums fade away, they at least designed those cool snare drum lugs. Your drum looks great with the new Leedy strainer. Enjoy!

Thanks! I love this drum...it is definitely my favorite and will be my main snare now. I would love to get a late 50's/early 60's SlingerLeedy kit. I'm pretty sure it'll happen some day.

- EMD
Posted on 11 years ago

From stedi

Classic looking beauty !!!Aaron, is that a new strainer, where did you get it from if I may ask?

Hey Stef...thanks for kudos...this snare sounds fantastic. Yes...the strainer is a new Leedy 3-point strainer. I know of one place in Fresno, CA that sells them. They also sell a reproduction butt plate. The only thing is that they are offered in chrome only. I suppose AK could age it if you ever needed it to match an old drum with nickel hardware.

Here is the eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Leedy-3-Point-Snare-Strainer-49-99-/160883263612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257563c87c

Aaron

- EMD
Posted on 11 years ago

Aaron - Man, I don't know how I missed this one! What a beauty! I love the three-point strainer. I have a vintage three-line Slingy bronze shell snare and I love the sound. Leedy/Slingerland made some serious good sounding snares for awhile there. Those three-line metal shells were some of the best sounding ones ever made.

Enjoy your new toy! Sweet one.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Aaron - Man, I don't know how I missed this one! What a beauty! I love the three-point strainer. I have a vintage three-line Slingy bronze shell snare and I love the sound. Leedy/Slingerland made some serious good sounding snares for awhile there. Those three-line metal shells were some of the best sounding ones ever made.Enjoy your new toy! Sweet one.John

Thanks, John. I'm sure that other COB Slingys from this era sound just as good as this one. It's basically a COB Radio King shell with COB stick saver hoops, Leedy lugs, Leedy butt plate, and of course, the Leedy 3-point strainer. Luckily, they make a repro strainer for their new line of Leedy snares, otherwise I might have been SOL trying to find an original one. I also picked up a set of Puresound vintage wires for this beauty and she sounds super sweet. I wonder how she would stack up against your COB Super 400?!?

- EMD
Posted on 11 years ago

Here in Denmark there is a very identical looking snare for sale - but apparently in aluminium:

http://www.trommeslageren.dk/forum/index.php?showtopic=72188

Anyone knows about these?

Regards

Jon

Posted on 11 years ago

From Jon Petersen

Here in Denmark there is a very identical looking snare for sale - but apparently in aluminium:http://www.trommeslageren.dk/forum/index.php?showtopic=72188Anyone knows about these?RegardsJon

Leedy did make an aluminum model snare drum, however I believe the one in the ad is the same brass shell model as mine.

- EMD
Posted on 11 years ago

The seller seems sure his is alu.

Jon

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here