Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

60s Leedy Kit

I recently picked up a 60s Leedy Kit in its original Silver Sparkle wrap. The prior owner believes that they're from 1968, but I'm starting to believe that they'd be from 1963. Although the drums have stamps on the inner shells the final digit is somewhat smudged on all of them, making it hard to determine whether it's a 3 or an 8.

Anyway, I'm hoping that if I describe some of the characteristics of the kit some of you Leedy experts out there can help me determine the correct year of manufacture.

The kit consists of an 8x12 rack tom, 16x16 floor tom and 14x20 bass drum. It's my belief, based on the center-mounted tom post that came with the kit, that there were originally two 8x12s mounted on the bass drum.

All three drums came with their original small Leedy lugs and what appear to be Slingerland-like COB stick-saver hoops. The legs on the floor tom are straight and the mounts are the push-buttom type. The only drum having a badge on it is the bass drum, which features the blue oval Leedy Chicago 48 Illinois badge. The t-rods on the bass drum are somewhat unique and I'm going to have to find 8 additional ones to complete the drum.

[Attachment: 7601]

[Attachment: 7602][Attachment: 7601]

[Attachment: 7602]

[Attachment: 7603]

[Attachment: 7603]

I've attached a few pics in the hopes that they'll help date this one. As usual, any and all input would be greatly appreciated.Help2

THANKS!

Posted on 15 years ago

IIRC, Slingerleedy was done by '67. Shells look like mahogany on the inside which would make 'em '63 or earlier. The bass being the only drum badged is also consistent with this.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Oldschool, Rob G. is correct on the year of your Leedy set. Leedy sets from this period were built at the Slingerland plant, and the T-rods and claws were leftover Radio King parts that Slingerland was trying to use up; Search eBay for Slingerland/ Radio King T's and Claws and you'll have your missing parts. that's also why your drums have the Slingy sticksaver hoops. These sets are basically Slingerland with Leedy lugs and badges. Great drums!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here