Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

60's knock off double soul or......?

Good Day Sirs,

I apologize in advance for ANOTHER "Hi, I'm new. Help me ID this MIJ!" but I have searched high and low, read every thread I can find a few times and haven't seen anything like this kit just yet. Hopefully we can have a little fun with this thing...

Appreciate any help id'ing this kit that I picked up for CHEAP in southern california. I am thinking it is circa early 60's, potentially an YAMAHA r-360 or dt-225 white label from before 67' when they started labeling as yamaha. It has no badges and a serial number that doesn't match anything else I've seen. My guess on the model is a double soul knock off but mostly curious about the wood type and if there is a back story to be had. I understand these aren't the highest quality american made maple shells, think they are birch and nippon gakki, but interested to hear where they might fall in between firewood and fun!

Here are some details:

-4 piece 20, 16, 13, 12

-bass drum has a wooden hoop on the outside and chrome over on the inside

-What look like Rogers lugs. Def not pearl stencil style or crest.

-"R" engraved on all tom hoops

-black oyster wrap in pretty good condition

-a few extra holes where it looks like the tom stand was removed and the tom mounts were changed...?

-absolutely no sign of badges having been on the wrap or around the ports

-a different type of lock washer used on the inside of the drum then I have seen.

-no double ring on the inside of the shells

-a black ink number 5566 stamped inside only the bass drum

-there appears to be a treatment or coating on the inside of the shells. Maybe this is the sliver paint that I have heard mentioned.

Hope that you guys have an idea here. I can tell from reading the forum for a few days looking for info that you are real pros.

Thanks!

Posted on 6 years ago

Could be a Rogers/Japanese made kit. I saw one for sale a while back, was missing the badges, this reminds me of it.

Posted on 6 years ago

From Trilok_Gurtu

Could be a Rogers/Japanese made kit. I saw one for sale a while back, was missing the badges, this reminds me of it.

Yup, Looks like a Rogers R-380.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 6 years ago

Hello Don Carrado... and Welcome to the forum! There is another new member here with a similar kit. You've got the R-360 "Double Soul" kit. Built by Yamaha around 1968-69, they were much better than your typical MIJ stencil kits. Shells were birch! Lugs designed by Joe Thompson. Sounds like you got a great deal on them! Tune them up and enjoy them!

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Agree with Mark

All indications are Rogers. It looks just like a R-360 I was going to get from Guitar Center but this one looks like they changed from a consollette blade tom mount to a post mount.

Enjoy the kit !

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 6 years ago

Great info guys.

I appreciate the feedback. I take it that the R engraved on the rims was standard on rogers from the late sixties or so? I hadn't seen much mention of that.

Can't wait to get this kit fixed up and to see how it sounds. Will give you a follow up when I do.

thanks!

Posted on 6 years ago

Actually, this is the first time I've seen that stamped "R" on the hoop. Does it appear on all the hoops, top and bottom?

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

It sure does,

That and the lack of badges all the way around were the things that really threw me off with id'ing it. I had never heard mention of the "r" stamp on the hoops but this has one on every hoop, top and bottom. Pretty neat, BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN!!! haha.

Also, the number 5566 in the bass drum,seems like there isn't much significance there...

Posted on 6 years ago

I looked through my R-360 pictures and found this kit from eBay many years ago. There were R-360 badges on each drum. Not sure if they were stickers or actual badges. Might be held on with tacks. Take a look at your drums and see if you can tell where these badges were installed.

I found that "R" on a tom rim. You can see it in one of the pictures. As to what it means? Maybe R series hoops, or used for Rogers drums, as opposed to Yamaha drums. Heck, it's anybody's guess!

As for the number in the shell, not really sure what it meant, but you can see a stamped number in the tom shell of one of the attached pictures.

-Mark

4 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here