Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

60's hoshino kit

Hi.

I picked up a 60's Hoshino kit the other day. They are in really great shape. Only things missing are the front hoop on the bassdrum and the bass drum spurs (I think I have matching ones lying around though).

They have 3 ply luan shells with re-rings in some unidentified other type of wood, probably beech or basswood.

The hardware are slingerland ripoffs, the lugs looks just like them. They even have sticksaver-style hoops on the toms and snare.

Sizes are 20X14 bass drum, 16X16 floor tom, 13X9 rack and a 14X5 snare that probably have a steel Shell (no idea yet).

Does anyone have any info on these? And could someone clarify the difference between hoshino and hoshino-gakki? Ive Heard different versions, one that they are the same and one that they are different companies. Thanks!

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Hello gn86

They are different companies

As I understand it hoshino-gakki

was/is the parent company for Star drums who later became Tama

and also Ibanez guitars

The Hoshino company that made your drums was a lesser known company

that produced stencil drum kits parallel to the timelines of both Star

and the early Pearl made drums

quality was variable some kits were very flimsy while others

had a few features not seen in the build quality of the Pearl and Star brands

(eight lug mounted toms) being most note-worthy

On the debit side something I just learned recently is that

some Hoshino kits were produced with no discernible bearing edge to the shells

Later when Star left the stencil drum market and became Tama

Hoshino drums along with Pearl continued on with the stencil drum making for at least another few years

And my guess is Hoshino was most likely

the last of the three companies to build mij stencil drums

once Pearl started building kits in Taiwan

Posted on 8 years ago

Just a curiosity: The Yamaha company was called "Nippon Gakki" until they changed its name.

The name is similar to "Hoshino Gakki". Aparently, "gakki" (楽器) means Musical Instrument.

Here is my original 20" bass drum head from a 60's C-200 kit.

[IMG]http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y341/joaojanina/Mobile%20Uploads/20160213_174919-800x450_zpsxkwnkfmr.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 8 years ago

Yes those are the lesser known Hoshino. I have a red sparkle 20" bass and 16" 16 lug FT. Bass has 3 re-ring, FT 2. Both have 45 degree inner cut round over outer bearing edges. Just a light sand and bees wax they were good to go. Missing bass parts as well.

Great sounding drums.

Think the no bearing edge must have been towards the end of whatever happened to the company. Photos I have seen with no bearing edge also lack re-rings.

Early examples maybe the best built of the early MIJ's. Dark here now but will get them out for a photo shoot Thurs.

Nice kit!

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

I know for a fact that Hoshino "Black Jack" drums were very poorly constructed. Little to no edges and bendy shells.

Posted on 8 years ago

Hello teverson-sr

would you mind posting some pics of your Hoshino made "Black Jack" kit

and particularly one of the badges

I Have some Black Jack drums also But mine are Star and thick shelled

Posted on 8 years ago

I CAN'T because they were from back in the mid-70's. They had plastic BD hoops and almost all of them were red sparkle (?). Black Jack on a rectangular badge with grommets having long tabs that bent over on the inside.

Posted on 8 years ago

The edges are fine on mine, and they are all round, Haven't gotten the opurtinity to play them properly, but there's nothing on my kit that indicates that they are poorly made.. aside from the luan Shells. But some really fine drums were made out of luan, like the old imperial stars!

Then again, there are many hoshino branded kits, obviously some are crap but I can't see anything on my kit that indicates that.

The finnish is interesting. It's kind of a cross between a black oyster Pearl and a grey ripple finnish. Really cool.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here