Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

60's Gretsch Snare

Hello! This is my first time posting! I have been visiting the site for quite some time but finally today decided to join so I could learn as much as possible from you all! Glad to be here!

I just picked up a 60's Gretsch white marine pearl (6 lug) snare drum. The shell is in great shape! Slightly discolored but not bad at all for a drum this old. It is missing the round badge. Silver inside. It does not have a Gretsch paper inside. I don't even see a spot where there was a paper possibly. No date stamps of any kind. The "Response-O" snare is there and has lots of life. All the hardware came with it in a plastic bag. The lugs are the little "eyelet" lugs. (if they are called something else please tell me) The throw off is broken but fixable I was told. The hoops need to either be replaced or fixed. The bottom hoop is bent just enough where you don't want to put it on the drum as is. Any recommendations on how to go about getting the hoops fixed. Should I fix them or just get new used vintage ones? I can not find any pics online of any old gretsch drums like this. I see Kent drums that have similar hardware/lugs but no Gretsch. Any thoughts or ideas about my new project? Thanks!

Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome to the VDF, great to have you with us!, congrats on your gretsch snare drum also! could you post some pics of the questions your asking, It will help us all a lot!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

I apologize! I haven't abandoned this post! I am not very computer savvy and have not been able to get some help posting some pics. I really want to get this snare restored because I think it will make me a little cash towards some other toys! Then again if it sounds great then I may just hold it! Thanks vintagemore2000 you have been helpful a couple different times now!

Posted on 14 years ago

You may end up spending a few bucks on this drum.Anything thats Gretsch is expensive,so if all you want is to make a few bucks,sell it as is and let the new owner deal with it........how much???Walking

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Well this is where it gets tricky! I am new to these vintage drums. I LOVE THEM! I have a deep passion for them and I am not even a "good drummer." (I am a singer songwriter that wanted to be Ringo originally rather than John) I am trying to get the hoops worked out with a machine shop right now cause one was bent as I stated in my original post. They are also trying to put a new rivet in the throw off. I bought a badge for it for $50 and the guy is going out of business and said here just take this snare that it is on too. That is a aluminum Gretsch that is stripped right down to the shell and badge. I am torn. Ok back to the original white marine pearl snare! I havent even seen a Gretsch online or anywhere with lugs like these. This makes me think it may be more rare. Someone help advise me! I will try hard to get some pics up today or soon. Thanks everyone for your comments. I really dig this site a ton. I hope to learn lots here.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hopefully this worked. I tried to attach a pic from the VDF site where there were some old Gretsch snare ads. the Junior Pro Single Tension Snare. My piece if it is this has no single tension rod. I also noticed in the pic there was no badge shown on the drum like the others. ?

I will put the link up seperately. Sorry!

Posted on 14 years ago
Posted on 14 years ago

If you follow my directions, you can post pix here.

1) Ckick on reply-you can do this obviously.

2) Scroll down the page and you will see a box titled Manage Attachments. There is a button there, click it.

3) A box will open and then you can search your files for a good pic of your drum and then click upload.

4) Then click submit reply and there you have it, a picture posted here! And Welcome!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks Jonnistix!

sorry these were taken from my cell phone. If you need more specific pics tell me. I got it down now!

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi

I like the finish on your drum.

I'm not positive but I think the 60's 6lug Gretsch were Dixieland snares. Maybe not all of them - I'll have to look in my catalogs.

I recently restored one and when I took the ripped red sparkle wrap off the drum I found some beautiful wood under there so I put a natural finish on it instead of the new wrap ....I bought.

It was a little pricy for the restore because my drum needed 6lug die-cast hoops & the four-point Renown strainer - both not easy to come by usually. I'm very pleased with the outcome though. I've posted photos of it elsewhere on the Forum. If you want to see how it turned out just let me know.

Good luck with your project........again I like that WMP finish = classic! The Gretsch 6lug is a nice little drum.

R U thinking about tucking your own heads - on wood flesh-hoops - (White American batter, Slunk calf reso)? That's a nice touch and it's a good feeling when you get done. If you get to the point where you want to do that there is a lot of great information here on a "sticky" thread. I can give you some pointers as well.......some do's & don't etc. (trial & error on my part haha).

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here