Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

60's Gretsch finish question?

I bought a Gretsch kit new in 1969 and sold it in 1976. I took up an interest in kit drums in 2007 after being away from drumming for 31 years.

I'm trying to find my old kit or one like it. I've been searching the Internet but no luck so far. I'm begining to wonder if I had the only kit with that particular finish.....it was Champagne Satin Flame. I've had a few people email me to say they didn't make that finish, but I have two (only) surviving photos of those drums with that finish. I bought them new in 1969 in BC Canada - I paid just over $1,100 for the kit and that was a lot of money back then for drums.

This photo was taken by me in 1975 - I had traded the snare drum to Ray Ayotte (Drums Only! at that time) and bought the Premier 2004 (model) from him - snares under batter and reso heads on that Premier - great drum! - Yes SirThose are Premier Timbales top of the kit.........also sold with the kit.

MY QUESTION:

Does anyone here have information on the finish Champagne (pink?) Satin Flame finish on Gretsch drums from the late 60's?? I've seen the Salmon Satin Flame finish but that was much darker than mine.

I've looked in a few old catalogs........no luck so far.

Kona

Posted on 15 years ago

Check out this thread on another forum with pics of Salmon and Moonglo that look a lot like your picture:

Gretsch Finish Page

Posted on 15 years ago

Interesting - the Salmon Satin Flame is close but my drums were lighter than those....I've seen the Salmon sf before - thanks. Moonglow is not the same. I'm going to post my drum photos on DrumForm.org......I'm at work now haha - I'll have to do it later.

Thanks for the post though.

Cheers,

kona

Posted on 15 years ago

How often were they in the sun like that? Is there a chance that what you remember them being and what they were when you first got them might have changed over the years?

There are finishes that change over the years and it could have very well lost it's original color from 1969 - 1975. Then your memory and the photos might be throwing it off.

I'm speculating that Gretsch did not make one set in that color. Very unlikely.

I guess if more sets show up then that would explain it, but since this is the first, something is going on with the finish.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Webmaster, FYI, the left link of the 1958 finish page is a broken link, on your finish page http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/gretsch_finishes.html. And let me briefly thank you for your amazing site which is an unbelievable reference. Are you looking for more pics to add - I think I have some badges that you don't show?

Posted on 15 years ago

Sweet! Thanks for the direct link. Always makes the fix faster. The image was updated and fixed.

In regards to pics, it is like a bone to a dog, or a banana to a monkey, or I think you get the idea.

Just short of begging for stuff I routinely ask for images if any one wants to contribute it is greatly appreciated.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

OK, attached are a couple I saw quickly - Fibes pre-Martin, and Leedy brass (not aluminum). Not the best pictures, but hopefully good enough.

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

From Webmaster

How often were they in the sun like that? Is there a chance that what you remember them being and what they were when you first got them might have changed over the years? There are finishes that change over the years and it could have very well lost it's original color from 1969 - 1975. Then your memory and the photos might be throwing it off. I'm speculating that Gretsch did not make one set in that color. Very unlikely. I guess if more sets show up then that would explain it, but since this is the first, something is going on with the finish. David

Hi - thanks for the reply.

The photo is one of two times I ever took the drums outside to set up. The other was to play on a flatbed truck at a rock festival. No chance the sun did anything to the finish.

In the meantime...........

Gretsch historian and author Harry Cangany looked for and found information on the finish for me and sent me this:

in 1969, Gretsch had 4 satin flames--moonglow (a gray and blue), aqua, gold and...sunset. I think, you had sunset.

Since then I communicated with a chap that has a kit with the exact same finish as mine. Sunset Satin Flame.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here