Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

60's 1400 stand?

Hi,

I bought thru eBay what was supposed to be a 60's 1400 flat base cymbal stand.

Isn't this 70's logo?

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

From Olimpass

Hi, I bought thru eBay what was supposed to be a 60's 1400 flat base cymbal stand.Isn't this 70's logo?

Mid 1968 is when they came out with the new logo like you have, so technically it could be a 60's stand. Why the nitpicking though?....no one will be able to tell the difference while you're playing......unless you let them hover and stare up close at your stands while you're playing! LOL!

Posted on 14 years ago

Isn't that a slingerland tilter?

Posted on 14 years ago

Good eyes Lucky.....It's either a Slingerland or Camco tilter...they were very similar.

Posted on 14 years ago

In addition to the logo style I believe there is also another way to determine the "vintage" of the flat base stand.

On the early stands, 1960 - 1963 (?) the top rod was held in position by an "L" shaped piece (pictures 1&2). The rod passed through a hole in one side of the "L" and the other side of the "L" had a threaded hole with a wing bolt. Tightening the wing bolt against the top edge of the middle rod torques the "L" piece thereby jamming the top rod so it could not slide down.

On the later stands (after 1963) the top rod was hold in position directly with a wing bolt through a collar on the middle rod (pictures 3&4). I know its hard to see in these pictures. Am I making any sense here?

The stands that came with my 1963 Hollywood have the "L clamp", the later ones I see on ebay have the collar and direct wing bolt.

Anyone agree or disagree? Comments?

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

Yes, I think I understand (and agree) with what you are saying.

There were also some differences in the tripods, too.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi, again. I have a cymbal stand exactly like the one Oli pictured in the OP. It has had it's original Ludwig tilter replaced with the Slingerland tilter. I have seen several examples of this. This is due, in part, to the fact that the original Ludwig tilters came loose and fell off or tended to rattle. The Slingerland could "retrofit" the Ludwig stand due to it's wing-bolt attachment style. They actually work very well, but you have to watch the angle of those large wings because the underside of some cymbals can rock enough to make contact with them...thus gouging the softer brass of the cymbal.

As far as the wide wingnuts on the sections of some stands... I have seen Ludwig drums and cymbal stands with them -usually circa early 70's.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

GG,

I think my 2 1400 stands exhibit what you are talking about. One I bought in 1964-65, ( L bracket) the other in 1966-67.

[IMG]http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu224/FTG3/P1010257.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 14 years ago

Okay, thanks all for the replies and my new found knowledge on this issue. Burger Kin

Posted on 14 years ago

You can pull the wing off the Slingy tilter and replace it with a shorty tension rod. They are about an inch long or so.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here