Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

6 luggers

Do any of you have a vintage 6 lug wood snare that you consider your main drum? Also,do you feel these drums are quite limited in range?

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

I have used my Cleveland Rogers Luxor quite a bit. There are players that use them as their main snare. I am a believer in matching your snare to the type of music you are playing. I think one also has to recognize the limitations to any snare being used. A 6 lug snare will favor a medium tuning range. I get a nice punchy wide open sound with body and crack from my 6 lug Luxor. I tend to use it more for blues and roots projects. It's also good for some jazz applications. That being said, I also have tried Ludwig Pioneers, Rogers Luxors and some other 6 luggers. IMHO, the Rogers Luxor is very hard to beat (pardon the pun). It has the same shell as a Powertone or Tower, but less hardware.

Bottom line, there is no right or wrong. It's what feels and sounds right for you.

Here's my Luxor.....

[IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll197/Luxor65/rogers033-1.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 14 years ago

My 1964 gold sparkle Pioneer is probably my favorite snare drum. I don't use it on gigs. I have used it in the studio, though. It's a fantastic sounding drum. Response-wise, it feels great!

I don't believe the stories of 6-luggers being limited in tuning, etc. -not from my experience.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Yep. Rogers Luxor for me too. Not really my 1st choice, but completely ok and if i want woody and focused and not too loud, this is the one.

Posted on 14 years ago

The reason im asking is i have a ROP Kent sixer and im redoing the edges.I,ve heard they can be very nice sounding due to the thin shells.Im thinking lower volume unmicd gigs it would be fine.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

From wayne

The reason im asking is i have a ROP Kent sixer and im redoing the edges.I,ve heard they can be very nice sounding due to the thin shells.Im thinking lower volume unmicd gigs it would be fine.

Heck yeh, no reason that it shouldn't work for that application. You may need to experiment with head selections to get her in the zone. They're made to play, so glad she is getting played.

Posted on 14 years ago

I had occasion to play a 60,s slingerland 6 lug,this one was tuned in the med/hi range and sounded really good,Like powertone said I liked it for blues and rootsy stuff,it had a nice response and blend for double shuffles,and when I attempted some new orleans second line snare based grooves on it it got me as close as I ever have been.I noticed as I moved the sticks from center to the edge it had nice "color " variations which imo is why I think they work well for blues roots and some jazz applications.They are not real expensive on the used and vintage market and I think they are one of the best values out there,and I think that they are a great drum to have in your arsenal especially if you play a lot of blues and rootsty syles of music.

Posted on 14 years ago

Just took delivery of a 1960 WMP Luddy 6 banger. It's nickle with the little thin wfl throw and such. Neat drum. Bought it to wrap in gold sparkle, but the wmp is on there tight It's very faded and yellowed. Really would like to pull it. Can't bring myself to do it yet. I've also got a red sparkle Luddy 6 banger. VERY nice drum. I got rid of the SuperClassic 'cause I really like the sixers better than the old eights with that huge wfl superclassic throw. I do have a Standard eight lugger that plays very nicely, but I like that open tone of the sixers.

Posted on 14 years ago

I have a Ludwig and a Slingerland and I like the Ludwig a lot better. For years it was my go to snare.

Posted on 14 years ago

Okay,I have two questions.

First, I have a Rogers classmate.Came with the clip style rims.I replaced them with triple flange. Is this basically the same as a Luxor? I know the throw is slightly different but,same guts I believe.Also is the shell similar to the Powertone re snare beds etc.?

Second, I picked up a Pioneer which was painted white. Don't know if it's factory paint AND,it didn't have a badge.Grommet looks re-installed so,I don't know how old it is.It has a P 85 and round knob muffler. Anyway,I bought it with intentions of wrapping it in Oyster to match my kit. I was toying with converting it to an 8 lugger before wrappping. Any thoughts yah or nay? Thanks!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here