Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

6 lug mij snare drums ?

I had a couple of questions regarding vintage MIJ 6 lug snare drums..

Is the tuning range the same as an 8 lug , and does it make a huge difference ? Asking because i have my eye on a possible vintage Raven brand MIJ snare drum with 6 lugs that i may use for one of my pub kits

which I had mentioned in a previous post in my search for a decent and solid vintage beater snare drum. As usual, any thoughts are appreciated !

cheers,

Rob

Posted on 7 years ago

I've had a few of the MIJ 6 luggers. Still have an early Pearl actually. With the right heads and tuning they sound nice to my ears. Great vintage sound.

Mike

Posted on 7 years ago

From mlayton

I've had a few of the MIJ 6 luggers. Still have an early Pearl actually. With the right heads and tuning they sound nice to my ears. Great vintage sound.Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. I once owned a Decca snare drum with

re-rings and put a Remo Fiberskyn head on it. It sounded amazing ! But i can't remember if it was a 6 or 8 lug.. Do you think it would be versatile enough for my acoustic classic rock, pop, RnB, funk and top 40 band ?

Posted on 7 years ago

6 luggers are tough...Not a big tuning range and you end up giving it a couple of turns of the key before your set is over.

Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 7 years ago

I have found if you use the nylon tension rod washers they tend to hold their tune a bit longer. The MIJ snares always had really cool looking wraps, that's why I have collected about 20 of them. Mike is right, tough to tune but with work they sound good to me also.

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

I have a nice MIJ snare drum collection, with quite a few of them 6-luggers. As others have already stated, with the right heads and tuning, they can sound very good. A nice example is my 60's Crown snare drum. The Evan's Level-360 heads fit great and the coated G1 sounds excellent even with the original snare wires!

-Mark

3 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

I've owned many American and MIJ/MIT 6 lug snares. Personally I can't get them to sound right. Too mooshy or WAY too many ugly overtones when tuned up to medium tension, which is pretty much as tight as they can go. 8 seems to be just right.

Posted on 7 years ago

From human71

I had a couple of questions regarding vintage MIJ 6 lug snare drums.. Is the tuning range the same as an 8 lug , and does it make a huge difference ? Asking because i have my eye on a possible vintage Raven brand MIJ snare drum with 6 lugs that i may use for one of my pub kits which I had mentioned in a previous post in my search for a decent and solid vintage beater snare drum. As usual, any thoughts are appreciated !cheers,Rob

Rob,

I've had Raven snares....mostly junk...

Look for an 8 lug snare..

6 lug mij are very limited.

U will have to do a lot of wrk & spend $$...

On wires,skins,...redo edges..wax edges, stain the inside..etcetc.

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.