Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

6 lug Gretsch is coming along Last viewed: 1 hour ago

I have pretty well finished the restoration of this 6 lug Gretsch Dixieland snare. I'm waiting for the Renown Throw to arrive and I will start using it.

This is how it arrived - Sparkle wrap pretty well in need of repair......

The Maple looked in good shape so I decided to go for a Natural finish.

I painted a Reflective Coating of Silver Sealer & Polyurethane Clear Gloss on the inside.

The outside was an experiment of 4 coats Tung Oil and 3 coats Polyurethan C/G. It turned out to be the exact finish colour I wanted. Just a fluke.....I wanted a Maple Syrupy type finish and I thought I'd have to tint.

Posted on 14 years ago

Maple Syrup it is.... it looks delicious.

Now I gotta go to IHop

Did you rub in the tung oil... wait a day... rub in another coat... ?

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Yes - rubbed the T/O in and waited until it dried before adding the second and subsequent coats. I applied the Poly with a soft lint-free cloth and I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

I did buy some Gold Sparkle wrap from PrecisionDrum. If I ever get tired of the natural finish I will put the wrap on - it will match up pretty good with my 58 Gold Sparkle kit. The PD wrap has the Hexagon pieces the same as my 58 wrap.

If I can't bear to wrap this drum I'll wait for another 'rescue' drum to come along and use the wrap on that one. You can't have too much wrap on hand these days ........I have some nice Green Sparkle coming too - Christmassy Wrap. :Santa:

From kevins

Maple Syrup it is.... it looks delicious.Now I gotta go to IHopDid you rub in the tung oil... wait a day... rub in another coat... ?

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for sharing the technique, man !!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Gary, the gretsch has turned out great, thank for sharing it!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here