Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

6-Lug Beverley snare battle.

Put on a Gibraltar 2.3mm hoop on top, cleared that issue. Put on Evans Dry on top, Evans 300 on resonant, that was a big improvement. Put on a set of 16 strand German wires, now the drum sounds way improved. However, the sound still doesn't sound totally "centered" from within to me, for lack of a better description. Is that simply the bane of 6-lug snare drums? It is a Beverley snare, 6 x 14 wood, 1965. Have it tuned tight and balanced.

Posted on 4 years ago

From Roosto

Put on a Gibraltar 2.3mm hoop on top, cleared that issue. Put on Evans Dry on top, Evans 300 on resonant, that was a big improvement. Put on a set of 16 strand German wires, now the drum sounds way improved. However, the sound still doesn't sound totally "centered" from within to me, for lack of a better description. Is that simply the bane of 6-lug snare drums? It is a Beverley snare, 6 x 14 wood, 1965. Have it tuned tight and balanced.

Six luggers generally don't tune up as well as eights or tens, even twelves. Perhaps by putting some good Puresound wires on, that would help. I really like the dimensions of your snare though and cna't fault you for trying. Best of luck in your quest!!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 4 years ago

From Roosto

Hi Roosto!

I know where you're coming from with this issue! What I've found to work wonders are "equalizer" snare wires. Puresound makes them. Just Google them! I've even made my own from wires I really didn't need. I took a 16-wire snare set and cut out the middle 6 wires. Leaving out those middle wires cuts down on quite a bit of "sizzle" and "rattle". You'd be surprised how good a snare drum can sound with just 10 wire strands!

There are those snare drums that will sound good no matter what heads and wires you put on them. And then there are those we constantly struggle with to make sound good!

If you do decide to try an equalizer-style of wire, I'd also suggest going back to a standard coated Ambassador-style head first. I've used Evans Dry heads and they have worked for me for certain drums. But, when I put on the equalizer wires, the Dry head is completely unnecessary. Just experiment until you achieve the sound you want!

-Mark

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here