Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

5ply Slingys?

Does anyone have any experience with the 5ply Slingerlands from the 70s without re-rings? I have a set of chrome-o shells that I'm considering re-wraping and cutting bearing edges on the bottom side of the concert toms. How is the sound on these sets? Is it worth all the work of stripping the chrome and re-edging? The problem is they are basically worthless as is, I've had the 4 shells listed on CL for a while for $50 with no bites, and they aren't worth it to ship to someone. But I also don't want to throw a bunch of money into hardware and wrap for it if the sound isn't worth it. Any opinions would be helpful.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]They are good shells...I mean, sort of the equivalent of Ludwigs thicker shells with the natural interiors. I'd imagine both companies brought them about to market to louder rock players.

....perhaps not as sought-after as the classic 3-plys....but good shells nonetheless. The shells which Slingy produced which sucked are the ones from the late 70's - the ones with thick poplar outer plys (I call 'em the 'inside-out' shells). Don't ever bother rehabbing a set of those...

I dig your dilemma. Nobody really wants those COW shells....usually the chrome looks like hell and it is a real biiiiitch to remove the chrome, so the labor going into it ain't never gonna result in the $ coming out of it.

I did ONE kit of those...never again. Personally, since you have 'em...you might as well rewrap 'em...just take your time and be patient.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here