Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

59 Radio King snare head replacing

I really need some help from the Slingerland experts. Total newbie trying to replace the heads on a 59 RK snare w/clamshell strainer. What is the correct way to replace the snare side head ? I seem to end up with a wrinkle @ the snare bed edge. Is their a secret Slingerland lug tightening pattern? Thanks in advance!

Posted on 14 years ago

Todd, are you sure your shell is level??, you can check it with a level device, there's no secret to the tuning of these rk's, also will the head fit the shell with out any binding? can you rotate the head freely on the shell? check both of these things and give us an update, by the way their are a couple of us from good ole NC here on the forum, good to have you with us, mark Yes Sir

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

From Todddilema

I really need some help from the Slingerland experts. Total newbie trying to replace the heads on a 59 RK snare w/clamshell strainer. What is the correct way to replace the snare side head ? I seem to end up with a wrinkle @ the snare bed edge. Is their a secret Slingerland lug tightening pattern? Thanks in advance!

I worked in both the factory and office for 16 years

This is a very common problem becuase you have a scooped snare bed.

At the time the drum was made many people used calf,,,The Sling, made plastic heads but they had a short collar so as you put on the drum and tightened it , it would quickly disappear.

With the deeper collar heads you can do this...Dont worry about this...as you tighen the head in time it waill deminish and most of the time sound is never hampered.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I also made a trip to our local music store & inspected new snare drum beds. The radio king beds are much deeper & wider. The mgr also mentioned using short collars if more torque on the lugs didn't work. I was able to work out all the wrinkles. And yes, all the drums in this set had calf skin heads. Unfortunately, most of the heads had seen better days.

All the drums in this set are still round. All the new heads have fit nicely. The bearing edges are in good shape and level or very.very close. After spending the last 4 weeks completely disassembling,cleaning,polishing, and reassembling , I didn't want to chance damaging anything. After all, they will be 51 years old this January.

Thanks again and I hope to post some pics soon!

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey Todd sounds like a great project and bound to be some beautiful drums!! Looking forward to your pics.

Don't forget the spacers on the bottom of the clamshells.. that one messed with me for awhile.

Radio King... what a great snare drum. Congrats on your project and welcome!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here