Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

'59 Pioneer snare - live and learn

A few months ago I picked up a '59 Ludwig transition badge Pioneer snare, in decent shape except for the P-83 strainer, which had the arm snapped in half. How do you snap the arm off? I didn't think much about it then, but I know now.

It had the old style P-83 on it, like one shown on the Jazz Festival here, with the little triangle of metal that sticks out on the left of the strainer when it's in the up position. I wanted to get an exact replacement to keep the drum "original", so I focused on finding this exact strainer.

I looked around the usual places and couldn't find a replacement at the time, so I posted a note here, and the ever-helpful MIKEY777 came to the rescue. Because I didn't really need a whole new strainer, just the lever arm, he sold me just the arm at a reasonable price (thanks again Mikey.) I put the strainer back together, everything was perfect - the arm even matched the rest of the strainer as far as aging, etc.

In the meantime, I had a friend who is a luthier and is a genius at matching finishes on old guitars do a little bit of touch-up to the chipping duco paint on the Pioneer shell.

I just got the shell back, and finally put everything back together last night. And guess what? The lever arm on the strainer doesn't clear the top hoop when you attempt to put the snare in the up position.

And now I know how the arm must have gotten broken in the first place. The old-style P-83 with the little triangle of metal on the left only comes with a flat lever arm - not a problem for taller or marching snares - and this snare must have originally had the newer style P-83 with the slightly bent/offset lever arm so it would clear the top hoop. Most of the pictures I've seen of Pioneers from this era have the arm with the offset, but in my attempt to keep this drum "original", I overlooked the reason why. So it appears that someone put this old-style "flat arm" strainer on, and when the lever arm wouldn't clear the hoop, they tried bending it so it would, and ended up snapping it off.

Now the question:

The pic of the Jazz Festival linked above does show the old style flat-arm strainer, and a Jazz Festival is the same size and shape as my Pioneer. So how did this work? The only thing I can figure is that there would have to be a washer or spacer between the shell and the strainer to push the entire strainer out far enough so that the arm clears the top hoop. Can anyone confirm this, or post a close up picture of their Jazz Festival or Pioneer with this "flat arm" type of strainer that shows the way it's mounted?

If anyone is interested or needs clarification of what I'm talking about, let me know and I can post pics.

Thanks.

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

No clarification needed. I understand completely what you are describing. That's a bummer about the lever, but there's nothing like first hand experience to be your teacher!

Although I don't have the drums in front of me, I imagine there is, as you suggest, some kind of "spacer" in place to bump the lever out from the side of the shell a little more and facilitate the clearance problem. Or, maybe there was a separate version made that had taller feet that did the same thing.

In any case, you should be able to find the correct newer P-83 version that has the bend.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

From O-Lugs

No clarification needed. I understand completely what you are describing. That's a bummer about the lever, but there's nothing like first hand experience to be your teacher!Although I don't have the drums in front of me, I imagine there is, as you suggest, some kind of "spacer" in place to bump the lever out from the side of the shell a little more and facilitate the clearance problem. Or, maybe there was a separate version made that had taller feet that did the same thing.In any case, you should be able to find the correct newer P-83 version that has the bend.

You hit the nail on the head here....there were two versions of the straight arm throwoff......the difference was in how far away the whole strainer was from the shell. Later they thought it cheaper to just make one strainer with the same distance and bend the arm instead.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here