Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

'59 Ludwig Transition Badge Kit

Hi All,

I wanted to share this kit with you all because I think you'll appreciate it. Two years ago I bought this kit from Music-Go-Round online for $600.! The kit is a one-of-a-kind set.

1. It is wrapped in Burgundy sparkle. Ludwig didn't start using Burgundy until later, during the 60's. This drum is date stamped; Jan. 24, 1959 and the wrap goes -into- the scarf joint. Not a re-wrap. And... Jan. 24th (1949) happens to be my birthday! So it is a 'Birthday Kit' for me as well.

2. The bass drum is 18"x20" with four straight-leg spurs, 2 in front, 2 in back. Not too many factory made bass drums (in this size) from the 1950's out there. Mostly those size shells were used to make 20" floor toms. I'm sure some were converted into bass drums over the years, but this one is an original 'factory job'. No extra holes anywhere.

3. I wrote to Wm. Ludwig Jr. inquiring about this truly oddball kit and he informed me that it was likely a special order made through a local Ludwig dealership. Many of the dealers in those days would make custom modifications in-store, using ludwig shells/drums.

By any measure, this kit is a one-off. I sold it to an up and coming jazz-player about 10 months ago. I buy and sell a lot of drums so I don't form many strong emotional attachments to drums/kits that I purchase. This one I miss. 3-ply mahogany shells w/rock maple re-rings. "The" quintessential Classic drum sound. Very warm, FAT-city and resonant.

Enjoy... I know I did!

John

1 attachments
102.9 kB
Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

WOW, what a looker !!

I'd be missing that one too !!

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

With my favorite Ludwig badge too! The so-called 'transition' badges should have been made a permanent feature, nicest one they ever designed.

John

Posted on 12 years ago

A beauty and cool story. It must really hurt kicking your own a$$. Love the burgundy sparkle and sizes.

B

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 12 years ago

i remember that kit well. it was a great story and was fun learning about those. i was surprised when you sold those. but, you can't keep them all. that was/is a great kit.

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Beautiful set of drums John.I agree that the transition badge should have stayed,but I guess it cost a couple of cents too much to make.

Steve B

Posted on 12 years ago

> that was/is a great kit.

You'll all be glad to know that I sold them to a young 'working drummer.' He's 24 and he's been playing for 14 of those years. He studied music at university and he plays with a jazz combo. I heard him, talented young-gun. The drums are in good hands and with someone who will in all likelihood, play them and keep them for life. They're in a 'good' home.

Bill - "It must really hurt kicking your own a$$."

It doesn't hurt so much as it's really hard to do! If I had legs like 'Goldmember' kicking my own a$$ might even be fun! lol

John

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for sharing the story and the pic of the kit, John. Burgundy sparkle's always been one of my favorite wraps. Unfortunately, I've never been in a position to purchase a kit in that wrap due to budgetary constraints!CryBaby

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here